Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetić <ot...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/02 15:45:44 UTC

Solr JMX changes and backwards (in)compatibility

Hi,

While I love all the new metrics in Solr, I think metrics should be treated
like code/features in terms of how backwards compatibility/deprecation is
handled. Otherwise, on upgrade, people's monitoring breaks.... and
monitoring is kind of important...

Note: Looks like recent Solr metrics changes broke/changed
previously-existing MBeans...

Don't have the details about what was changed and how exactly, but I see
people using Sematext SPM for monitoring Solr are reporting this with Solr
6.4.1.

Otis

Re: Solr JMX changes and backwards (in)compatibility

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.  I tried to do my share of being a voice of maintaining backwards
compatibility (register MBeans in old place still along with the new place)
but apparently those changes weren't enough?  Andrzej attempted to get your
input
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9947?focusedCommentId=15815089&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15815089
but
you didn't respond or notice.  If he hadn't '@' you, I would have as it's
obvious you might have opinions on this matter ;-)
And also related: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10035

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
I did report it a week ago. This is a reply to that email.

New Relic displays the cache hit rate for each collection, showing the query result cache, filter cache, and document cache.

With 6.5.0, that page shows this message:

    New Relic recorded no Solr caches data for this application in the last 24 hours
    If you think there should be Solr data here, first check to see that JMX is enabled for your application server. If enabled, then please contact support.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <an...@lucidworks.com>.