Posted to commits@directory.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/02/01 00:57:48 UTC

[Directory Wiki] Update of "Asn1Home" by EmmanuelLecharny

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Directory Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by EmmanuelLecharny:
http://wiki.apache.org/directory/Asn1Home

  We have depicted three layers :
   * Request/Response : This is the more abstract layer. Exchanged messages are 'human readable'. Each message is a Java Bean, containing all the information about a Request or a Response.
-  * [#PDU PDU] : As communication petween the Client and the Server is done through a network, we need to transform the beans to something more 'network friendly'. The data are stored in PDU, or '''P'''acket '''D'''ata '''U'''nit. Those PDU contain an encoded form of messages, specified in [http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2251.html RFC 2251] and [http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm ASN.1]
+  * [#PDU PDU] : As communication petween the Client and the Server is done through a network, we need to transform the beans to something more 'network friendly'. The data are stored in PDU, or '''P'''rotocol '''D'''ata '''U'''nit. Those PDU contain an encoded form of messages, specified in [http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2251.html RFC 2251] and [http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm ASN.1]
   * [http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html ByteBuffers] : To transfer PDU from/to Client to/from Server, we need to store bytes in a structure that will permit to deal with network latency. Thus we are using byte buffers, which allow us to send pieces of PDU until the whole PDU has been transmitted. (Note : [http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/nio/ByteBuffer.html ByteBuffer] is also a Java NIO class, but can be seen just as a byte container. It could have been something totally different from the NIO class).

  This layering allows many different implementations.