Posted to alexandria-dev@jakarta.apache.org by dion <di...@multitask.com.au> on 2002/01/15 14:48:43 UTC

Gump and project dependencies

I've recently had the <sarcasm>thrill</sarcasm> of doing some builds for
projects I'm not often involved in, and found that half the battle is
finding and downloading the dependent projects.

Gump does the documenting and building of this nicely.

What I was thinking of was a target in a project's build file that used
the knowledge in gump to either download and build, or simply download
the binary, required jars.

I've got no idea how hard this is. Can someone give me an answer?

"Easy", "Hard", "Nigh impossible" type answers will do...
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
http://www.multitask.com.au/developers

Re: Gump and project dependencies

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 1/15/02 5:48 AM, "dion" <di...@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> I've recently had the <sarcasm>thrill</sarcasm> of doing some builds for
> projects I'm not often involved in, and found that half the battle is
> finding and downloading the dependent projects.
>
> Gump does the documenting and building of this nicely.
>
> What I was thinking of was a target in a project's build file that used
> the knowledge in gump to either download and build, or simply download
> the binary, required jars.
>
> I've got no idea how hard this is. Can someone give me an answer?
>
> "Easy", "Hard", "Nigh impossible" type answers will do...
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> http://www.multitask.com.au/developers

You may wish to look at the archives of this list for your answer as this
has been discussed until we are all blue in the face. Look for keywords such
as "cjan" and "jjar".

thanks,

-jon

RE: Gump and project dependencies

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@totalsync.com>.
The answer is "In progres, but we need your help".

In jakarta-commons-sandbox, there is a project called jjar that intends
to be able to download necessary jars and dependent jars as well.  Check
it out, subscribe to commons-dev, and let's start talking about it.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 1/15/02 8:48 AM, "dion" <di...@multitask.com.au> wrote:

> I've recently had the <sarcasm>thrill</sarcasm> of doing some builds for
> projects I'm not often involved in, and found that half the battle is
> finding and downloading the dependent projects.
>
> Gump does the documenting and building of this nicely.
>
> What I was thinking of was a target in a project's build file that used
> the knowledge in gump to either download and build, or simply download
> the binary, required jars.
>
> I've got no idea how hard this is. Can someone give me an answer?
>
> "Easy", "Hard", "Nigh impossible" type answers will do...

A project has been started already to address this directly - called JJAR,
over in the commons project,  it uses repository information to do exactly
as you wish.

Currently it supports being used from an ant task as well as command line,
accessing a repository to fetch specific versions of projects and their
dependencies.

I am a touch behind getting some updates into CVS for JJAR, so what you see
there now isn't quite right.  While I have promised several times, I have a
6 hour plane ride on Wednesday that I aim to use to catch up, get the code
in order, and checked in.

System and Software Consulting
"Now what do we do?"