Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by techy_bolek <te...@yahoo.com> on 2014/03/13 22:44:23 UTC

Converting JBI projects to OSGI

I have a few old JBI legacy projects that I'd like to convert to OSGI. I have
a custom binding component, a few service units and a service assembly. I'm
new to OSGI and I'm looking for some guidelines where to start and how to
convert my JBO projects to OSGI. Thanks.

Re: Converting JBI projects to OSGI

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Unfortunately there is no good guideline as far as I know.

I can give you a coarse idea what needs to be done.

1. If you use external libraries you have to make sure they can be
deployed to OSGi. So first check if they already are bundles, next
fallback would be to check if they exist in
org.apache.servicemix.bundles in maven central. If they do not exist
then you have to bundle them yourself which
can be easy or quite challenging depending on the lib.
I would first check each library for its operation in OSGi by using it
from a simple bundle you write, without camel and the rest of the stack.
2. Next step is to move from JBI to camel. Most of your processing
likely can be done in a camel route. Your binding component might be a
good match for a custom camel component. If it is simple you might also
be able to just use it as a processor.
3. Step is the deployment. You have to switch from the jbi packagings to
a karaf feature file.

For most of the parts of the puzzle you need my karaf tutorials might be
helpful.  See http://liquid-reality.de/display/liquid/Karaf+Tutorial
(especially the camel tutorial). I also have some feature files so you
can see how to deploy your application.

In any case I suggest to get some consulting from an expert in this
area. You might be able to do it alone but you will stumble into all the
pitfalls.
On the servicemix page you can find a list of companies providing
commercial support.
Talend (which I work for) is not listed there but we provide support for
karaf + cxf + camel which effectively is the same as servicemix :-)

One thing you should keep in mind when migrating is that the new
servicemix based on OSGi is much more than just JBI. It can be used as a
platform for camel integration routes but also for more traditional java
application programming. So before applying the camel hammer to every
problem think if you can achieve the same with some lines of java code
and and a OSGi or cxf service.

Christian

On 13.03.2014 22:44, techy_bolek wrote:
> I have a few old JBI legacy projects that I'd like to convert to OSGI. I have
> a custom binding component, a few service units and a service assembly. I'm
> new to OSGI and I'm looking for some guidelines where to start and how to
> convert my JBO projects to OSGI. Thanks.

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com