Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Martin Toepfer <ma...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2014/02/11 18:24:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Hi,

the first release candidate of Apache UIMA Ruta v2.2.0 is ready for voting.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1007/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/tags/ruta-2.2.0-rc1

Update site:
http://people.apache.org/~mtoepfer/uima-releases/ruta-2.2.0-rc1/eclipse-update-site/ruta

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~mtoepfer/uima-releases/ruta-2.2.0-rc1/ruta-2.2.0-source-release.zip

Overall 52 issues have been fixed for this release.
They can be found in the RELEASE_NOTES.html and here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-3609?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.2.0ruta%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20ruta%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Resolved%2C%20Closed%29

Major Changes in this Release

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
- Major performance improvements
- Improved import type functionality and handling of ambiguous short names
- Options to determine where the next match should start
- Requires at least Java 6
- Many bug fixes

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
- Smaller improvements in many views
- Many bug fixes

ONLY FOR REVIEWING:

Documentation (pdf file):
http://people.apache.org/~mtoepfer/uima-releases/ruta-2.2.0-rc1/tools.ruta.book.pdf

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Martin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 11.02.2014 20:50, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> (These are probably not release blockers) - When building from the sources, I
> observed:
>
> ruta-ep-engine bundle gives these warnings, probably needs a pom update?
>
> [INFO] --- maven-bundle-plugin:2.3.7:manifest (uima-bundle) @ ruta-ep-engine ---
> [WARNING] Manifest org.apache.uima:ruta-ep-engine:jar:2.2.0 : Did not find
> matching referal for !antlr
> [WARNING] Manifest org.apache.uima:ruta-ep-engine:jar:2.2.0 : Did not find
> matching referal for !com.jamonapi
> [WARNING] Manifest org.apache.uima:ruta-ep-engine:jar:2.2.0 : Did not find
> matching referal for !org.apache.commons.pool
> [WARNING] Manifest org.apache.uima:ruta-ep-engine:jar:2.2.0 : Did not find
> matching referal for !org.apache.commons.pool.impl

Hmm, I don't think that's a problem. I had to explicitly exclude all
packages in order to get it to work, but afterwards I applied some
cleanups, which probably made these four exclusions redundant. I think I
can remove them again.

> ruta-ep-ide 2.2.0 has antlr warning:
>
> org\apache\uima\ruta\ide\core\parser\RutaParser.g
> warning(200): org\apache\uima\ruta\ide\core\parser\RutaParser.g:2057:2: Decision
> can match input such as "MINUS Identifier" using multiple alternatives: 1, 2
> As a result, alternative(s) 2 were disabled for that input
> Semantic predicates were present but were hidden by actions.
>
> Is this OK?

I have seen that. It is not OK, but also not a big problem. The
consequences are that the AST for numerical difference (hyphen-minus) on
feature match values is broken, and thus the support in the editor,
e.g., semantic highlighting is missing. However, that is only for
something like: ASSIGN(var, Token.end - Token.begin). The actual rule
functionality is not affected. I will create an issue so that I will not
forget to fix it in the next release. If I find the time, I will do it
for the next rc.

> I also note that there were quite a few javadoc warnings - some wrong spelling
> for parameter names, @return with no arguments, etc.  (We generally try to have
> the public user-facing APIs have good javadocs, but, it's not a blocker IMHO.)

JavaDoc is still a big problem, because it is mostly missing at all. It
was never a top priority for me because ruta is not a java library where
you call different methods. There is an issue for it.

Best,

Peter

Re: [VOTE][CANCEL] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Posted by Martin Toepfer <ma...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
...preparing RC2.

Martin

--

MSc. Martin Toepfer      Raum: B008
Universität Würzburg     Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-81856

www: http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/toepfer/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 13.02.2014 12:53, schrieb Peter Klügl:
>> more testing will follow....

maven artifacts:

ruta-ep-engine-2.2.0-source:
we could probably remove the mention of university of würzburg here
since the artifact does not contains the sources of the fetched
implementations.
-> optionally, not a blocker

ruta-ep-engine-2.2.0:
the notice items that marshall and martin already mentioned

ruta-ep-ide-2.2.0-sources:
contains license for icons, but should not

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
> more testing will follow....

Nicolas problem and a small issue I noticed when reproducing it will be
fixed in the next rc.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.2.0 RC1

Posted by Martin Toepfer <ma...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
There seems to be an extra line end in the signature files that causes
md5sum not to find the target file. I will have a look at it.

Martin

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
review so far:
compared svn-tag with source release - OK (the usual additional
files/folders)
mvn clean install svn-tag - OK
mvn clean install source-release - OK
(antlr and maven-bundle-plugin warnings will be fixed in next rc)

downloaded kepler sr1
installed UIMA Runtime and Tools 2.5.0 features
installed Ruta Workbench 2.2.0 - OK
(both versions 2.2.0 and 2.1.0 are available)
(name of the update site mentions an absolute path to my workspace?)
created simple project - OK
run simple rule script - OK
import ExampleProject of source-release and run tests - OK

checked default files of source-release - OK
copyright in NOTICE mentions only the start year: Copyright 2011 The
Apache Software Foundation

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 13.02.2014 23:30, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> Here's the reference: https://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

That's a very nice page that I missed so far. Thanks :-)

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

[...]