Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Will Holcomb <wi...@himinbi.org> on 2003/02/19 15:40:13 UTC

building fulcrum from source

I just discovered there is no fulcrum developers list. So I guess this is
a turbine-dev message...

*-*

The torque plugin has moved to src/generator in the torque repository. It
is confusing because there is a src/generator/src/maven-plugin/ that also
has a maven pom and the plugin:install target works there.

The location of the ant task has moved under generator as well, and a
separate jar has to be built to get the task for the plugin to work. Even
with that I can't get it to work. Maven seems to find the plugin to allow
the task to be loaded, but when it comes time to load the templates it
dies saying it can't find them. (They are also in the jar and should be
locatable by the class loader.)

I tried to figure it out for two very frustrating hours and I don't know
enough about how the plugins work to figure it out.

Eventually I discovered that the torque 3.0 plugin is in the distribution
directory:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-turbine/torque/release/3.0/maven-torque-plugin-3.0.jar

With this though it still doesn't work. I run maven and the torque plugin
seems to work, but there are 100 (exactly) compile errors in the main
source and 89 in the test cases. I'd try and hunt down what exactly is
going on, but it is a little daunting to tackle nearly 200 errors in code
I don't know.

I am trying to do is extend the UserManager in and I am having trouble
with it because when I try and compile (using the 3.0-b2-dev jars off
ibiblio) it complains of needing org.apache.torque.pool.DBConnection which
according to the torque cvs was moved out 8 months ago. I am assuming the
BaseTurbineUserPeer was generated a long time ago and still has a
reference to that class.

(Actually I just checked and the it is there in the class file.)

I was wondering if one of the regular maintainers would mind trying
building from scratch and see if it is possible using torque 3.0 which is
what is listed in the pom. I've hunted for something I might be doing
wrong on my end, and it is possible that I am just missing something, but
I have no clue what.

Any help would be much appreciated. I like working with fulcrum, I'd
really not like to spend a whole lot of time building on Turbine just to
have to migrate it all over.

Will Holcomb

P.S. I noticed mention of nightly builds on the turbine dev list. If this
were to happen it might be useful to consider wiping the classes that are
generated by torque and not in cvs. Even if my build problems are
something I am doing this would let you know when the repository wouldn't
build as checked out.

Hmm, you'd probably have a script that is updating via cvs anyhow, so that
would give you a list of what is not in the repository straight off...