Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Chuck Campbell <ca...@accelinc.com> on 2007/10/18 17:07:52 UTC

upgrade question

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I didn't find it on the web page FAQ section.

Is there a "how to" for upgrading from 2.63 to present release (3.2.3)?
If not, please, some pointers on what to read to make this as painless as
possible.

As usual, thing have been working (reasonably), so I haven't considered
changing anything, but I'm starting to get a lot more spam in my inbox.

I'm hoping a newer version will help with that.

I've got autolearn turned off, and I train Bayes daily with my sorted
ham and spam lists (all automated).  I'm loathe to break this, but I'm
likely to with an upgrade.

The best is that I have plenty of sorted ham and spam to train with for
a new setup...

TIA,
-chuck

Re: upgrade question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Chuck Campbell wrote:
> I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I didn't find it on the web page FAQ section.
>
> Is there a "how to" for upgrading from 2.63 to present release (3.2.3)?
> If not, please, some pointers on what to read to make this as painless as
> possible.

Well, there's no true HOWTO, but there is a file that's in the SA
tarball that tells you about most of the things that you'll need to know
in an upgrade. The file is called UPGRADE.

You can get it in the tarball, or read it here. Note that you'll have to
dig back, as the file has the most recent information at the top.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/UPGRADE

You'll also want to check to make sure you have all of the prequisites
for the current version met. Those are documented in the INSTALL file.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/INSTALL
> As usual, thing have been working (reasonably), so I haven't considered
> changing anything, but I'm starting to get a lot more spam in my inbox.
>
> I'm hoping a newer version will help with that.
>
> I've got autolearn turned off, and I train Bayes daily with my sorted
> ham and spam lists (all automated).  I'm loathe to break this, but I'm
> likely to with an upgrade.

That much shouldn't break. Be sure to run a sa-learn --rebuild before
the upgrade, and sa-learn --sync after it. (these two are really the
same option, but the "rebuild" syntax was changed to "sync", because
it's normally just syncing the journal. The only time it rebuilds is if
there's been an upgrade...)

Also, be aware that if you've edited files in /usr/share/spamassassin
(which you shouldn't do), the whole directory will be obliterated and
recreated when you upgrade. Make sure you move your changes into your
site rules where they belong (ie: /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf)
before upgrading.

> The best is that I have plenty of sorted ham and spam to train with for
> a new setup...

Good. That's a good fallback if the bayes database doesn't convert cleanly.

Re: upgrade question

Posted by Luis HernĂ¡n Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Chuck

2007/10/18, Chuck Campbell <ca...@accelinc.com>:
> I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I didn't find it on the web page FAQ section.
>
> Is there a "how to" for upgrading from 2.63 to present release (3.2.3)?
> If not, please, some pointers on what to read to make this as painless as
> possible.
>
> As usual, thing have been working (reasonably), so I haven't considered
> changing anything, but I'm starting to get a lot more spam in my inbox.
>
> I'm hoping a newer version will help with that.
>
> I've got autolearn turned off, and I train Bayes daily with my sorted
> ham and spam lists (all automated).  I'm loathe to break this, but I'm
> likely to with an upgrade.
>
> The best is that I have plenty of sorted ham and spam to train with for
> a new setup...
>
> TIA,
> -chuck

Well, it all depends on how do you have installed SA, and your OS. For
instance, many people running Debian or Redhat based systems do it via
dpkg-apt (Debian), or rpm-yum (Redhat). Or, on FreeBSD, via the
packages system (I'm not very familiar to *BSD, so better to ask
somenoe who knows).
I like to biuld and install via the classical "perl Makefile.PL, make,
make test, make install" sequence, but as I said, it all depends on
how did you installed SA the first time...

Hope this helps,

Luis
GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.