Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2003/07/29 20:57:48 UTC

Re: Does svn log go out to the network when asking for multiple revisions ?

François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Can someone explain to me why svn log -r X:Y outputs something
> different from svn log -r X:Y URL ?  Here's a reproduction recipe:
>
> [...]
>
> I believed svn log would go out to the network if I was asking for
> multiple revisions ?

It does go to the network, but it still pays attention to the path
(whether implicit '.' or URL), and only shows changes that occurred
under that path.

-Karl

Re: Does svn log go out to the network when asking for multiple revisions ?

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> kfogel@collab.net writes:
>

>>It does go to the network, but it still pays attention to the path
>>(whether implicit '.' or URL), and only shows changes that occurred
>>under that path.
>

>     D:\java\calendar>svn log -r 60:HEAD
>     D:\java\calendar>svn log -r 60:HEAD \
>              http://svn.hopto.org:27648/repos/rac/calendar
>
> I'm guessing that the concern is that, presumably, the URL for
> "D:\java\calendar" is "http://svn.hopto.org:27648/repos/rac/calendar"
> in this example.  Which would, in theory, make the two commands return
> the same information.

Well, I forgot, but D:\java\calendar is repos/rac/calendar/trunk, which
is *not* the same URL.  There we go.  That's why I did not get the same
log message.

Thanks, and sorry for the bother...
François

Re: Does svn log go out to the network when asking for multiple revisions ?

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi,

I already replied to this saying that they were not the same folder.
One was repos/rac/calendar/trunk (WC), the other was repos/rac/calendar/
(URL).

Thanks anyway !
François

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>
>> François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>>
>>> Can someone explain to me why svn log -r X:Y outputs something
>>> different from svn log -r X:Y URL ?  Here's a reproduction recipe:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I believed svn log would go out to the network if I was asking for
>>> multiple revisions ?
>>

>> It does go to the network, but it still pays attention to the path
>> (whether implicit '.' or URL), and only shows changes that occurred
>> under that path.
>

> Just to make sure you're aware of this, because from your question it
> appears you are not.  Running 'svn log' will always use the network. The
> log data is only stored at the client, never at the server.  It doesn't
The other way around, maybe ;)

But thanks, I did not actually "know", but if given the choice, I would
have said the data was on the server.

> matter what type of 'svn log' you are running, it always hits the
> repository.
>
> -garrett

Thanks !
François

Re: Does svn log go out to the network when asking for multiple revisions ?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> François Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>>Can someone explain to me why svn log -r X:Y outputs something
>>different from svn log -r X:Y URL ?  Here's a reproduction recipe:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>I believed svn log would go out to the network if I was asking for
>>multiple revisions ?
>

> It does go to the network, but it still pays attention to the path
> (whether implicit '.' or URL), and only shows changes that occurred
> under that path.

Just to make sure you're aware of this, because from your question it
appears you are not.  Running 'svn log' will always use the network.
The log data is only stored at the client, never at the server.  It
doesn't matter what type of 'svn log' you are running, it always hits
the repository.

-garrett