Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/09/12 13:08:00 UTC

[vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Sorry to put this as a vote thread, but there was already a lingering
thread on this and we never seemed to get to the core issue.  We
discussed worries about the additional effort, but I'm convinced that
no one wants to issue a M5 w/o passing the testsuite, so in a sense,
the question is somewhat moot.

M4 passed the automated tests, and M5 will. And with M5, we seem to
have no problems with the untestable assertions.

Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?

Yes from me :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On 9/12/2005 4:08 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> M4 passed the automated tests, and M5 will. And with M5, we seem to
> have no problems with the untestable assertions.
>
> Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?

+1

Regards,
Alan

Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Sep 12, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I was wondering about the message we're sending to the user
> community by certifying a milestone release.  (I think its the
> right thing to do by the way).  I believe there is some pent up
> expectation that certification means go for production but my
> opinion is that certifying a milestone is really more of a tech-
> preview.  What are the thoughts on communicating what this means to
> the user community in terms of what should they be doing with
> Geronimo with regard to development, production, etc?

I agree, and am worried about the message myself.  I've always
thought that we should hold certification to 1.0, but at this point,
I think we'd be better served doing it on the milestone because the
fact is that it does work, and if we're clear about setting
expectations ("this is functional J2EE 1.4, but the fact that it's a
milestone means there's still more corners to knock off before
1.0...") we'll probably do ok.

> Also, personally I'd like to make some statement about when we
> would be expecting to deliver 1.0 so the user base can set their
> expectations appropriately.
>
> I think something like M5-Tech Preview contains all J2EE 1.4
> functionality as well as new technology that is not finished such
> as the console, usability improvements, etc.  With a target date
> for V1.0 around the end of October 2005.

Works for me, but I think that we have to be extra careful about that
October date - we should start that discussion about what is a must
have vs nice to have, make a guess on how long that will take, and
then make a realistic estimate about the date.  I think we can have
all sorts of fun if we are targeting 10/31 or 11/1 :)

geir

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org> wrote:
> Sorry to put this as a vote thread, but there was already a lingering
> thread on this and we never seemed to get to the core issue.  We
> discussed worries about the additional effort, but I'm convinced that
> no one wants to issue a M5 w/o passing the testsuite, so in a sense,
> the question is somewhat moot.
>
> M4 passed the automated tests, and M5 will. And with M5, we seem to
> have no problems with the untestable assertions.
>
> Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?
>
> Yes from me :)

+1 on the condition that both Jetty and Tomcat can pass the TCK.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

[Results] Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
It's only been a day and a half, and I guess we should leave the
window open another 1.5 days for any complaints or further support,
but if none are heard, then we unanimously want to call this our
certified release.

+1 : geir, jeremy, alan, bruce (as long as it's Jetty & Tomcat),
jacek, david jencks, dims, dain, John

Matt raised a good issue about the message we want to send.  Any
comments?  (can someone start a separate thread if so?)

geir

Posted by John Sisson <js...@apache.org>.
+1

Regards,

John

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?

+1

> geir

Jacek

Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://wso2.com/ - Oxygenating The Web Service Platform

Re: [vote] Declare M5 a certified release?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Sep 12, 2005, at 4:08 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Sorry to put this as a vote thread, but there was already a lingering
> thread on this and we never seemed to get to the core issue.  We
> discussed worries about the additional effort, but I'm convinced that
> no one wants to issue a M5 w/o passing the testsuite, so in a sense,
> the question is somewhat moot.
>
> M4 passed the automated tests, and M5 will. And with M5, we seem to
> have no problems with the untestable assertions.
>
> Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?
>
> Yes from me :)

+1
david jencks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Sorry to put this as a vote thread, but there was already a lingering
> thread on this and we never seemed to get to the core issue.  We
> discussed worries about the additional effort, but I'm convinced that
> no one wants to issue a M5 w/o passing the testsuite, so in a sense,
> the question is somewhat moot.
>
> M4 passed the automated tests, and M5 will. And with M5, we seem to
> have no problems with the untestable assertions.
>
> Shall we declare this our J2EE 1.4 certified release?
>
> Yes from me :)

+1

--
Jeremy