Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "George R. Kasica" <ge...@netwrx1.com> on 2006/01/24 20:33:11 UTC

Re: [exim] Exim+SA=Server Overloaded!

>On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:01:55 -0200, you wrote:

>Hello!
>Sorry to send another email about the same subject. But my mail server
>crashed so i couldn't see the answers.
>
>I am calling my spamassassin service in SMTP time with some ACL rules in
>my exim4 configuration file. I start the SA service, start exim4 service
>and i wait only some minutes and the server gets overloaded!... almost
>impossible to loggin and shutdown manually the server.
>
>I have 216 users in the server, and I have an avarege about 10 access /
>minute.
>
>I THINK that the problem is that I am calling the SA service from ACL
>rules (in SMTP time)... but dont know how to change it to another way to
>fix the problem.
>
>Ah! When I turn off the SA service the server goes perfectly.
>
>Could somebody help me?!
>Thanks anyway!

Also check to make sure your not using HUGE rulesets like the 2
blacklist ones, that's what caused a problem here, once we stopped
using those 2 all was happy.

===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
georgek@netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186

Re: [exim] Exim+SA=Server Overloaded!

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> My problem still remains: I disabled ALL the rules I use to check (Rules
> du Jour, Bayes, Razor and Pyzor) and, believe it or not, it is still
> getting overloaded :(

How many children are you running?  Overload is almost always due to running
out of memory and going into thrashing.  This happens because the total size
of the spamd children is larger than your available memory.  The total size
can be because you have too many children running, or sometimes because the
children get too big.

I would expect the children to be around 50MB or a little less, depending on
the rulesets you have.  You can check this.  If one or more of the children
is much bigger than 50MB, then this may be causing your problem.

You should also check how many spamd children are running, and compare their
total size to your available memory size.  With 512MB of memory, you
probably do not want more than about 5 children maximum.

All of this assumes you are running spamd.  If you are using some other
method, then the problem might lie elsewhere.

        Loren

Re: [exim] Exim+SA=Server Overloaded!

Posted by Eduardo <ot...@fef.unicamp.br>.
George R. Kasica wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:01:55 -0200, you wrote:
>>

>> Hello!
>> Sorry to send another email about the same subject. But my mail server
>> crashed so i couldn't see the answers.
>>
>> I am calling my spamassassin service in SMTP time with some ACL rules in
>> my exim4 configuration file. I start the SA service, start exim4 service
>> and i wait only some minutes and the server gets overloaded!... almost
>> impossible to loggin and shutdown manually the server.
>>
>> I have 216 users in the server, and I have an avarege about 10 access /
>> minute.
>>
>> I THINK that the problem is that I am calling the SA service from ACL
>> rules (in SMTP time)... but dont know how to change it to another way to
>> fix the problem.
>>
>> Ah! When I turn off the SA service the server goes perfectly.
>>
>> Could somebody help me?!
>> Thanks anyway!
>>

> Also check to make sure your not using HUGE rulesets like the 2
> blacklist ones, that's what caused a problem here, once we stopped
> using those 2 all was happy.
>
> ===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
> President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
> Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
> http://www.netwrx1.com
> georgek@netwrx1.com
> ICQ #12862186

My problem still remains: I disabled ALL the rules I use to check (Rules
du Jour, Bayes, Razor and Pyzor) and, believe it or not, it is still
getting overloaded :(

There is some way to check WHAT is causing the overload? Some debug?!
(can I check the possible cause os the overload with "spamassassing
--lint -D" command?!)

Thanks to all :)