Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org> on 2005/04/18 22:18:54 UTC

nutch graduation?

Nutch is nearly ready for graduation.

One step remaining is the filing of documents with the ASF to transfer
rights.  As the President of the Nutch non-profit corporation, I can do
this myself, but it would help to have a template.  I could not find any
examples of this.  Can someone point me to one?

The intent is for Nutch to become a sub-project of the Lucene top-level
project.  Nutch builds on Lucene and shares developers and founders with
Lucene.  Should the graduation vote in the Incubator be held before or
after the vote by the Lucene PMC to accept the project?

Is there anything else that should be done or discussed before a vote is
called to graduate Nutch?

Thanks,

Doug

Re: nutch graduation?

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 19.04.2005, at 20:34, Doug Cutting wrote:

> I just faxed a software grant to Apache.  Can someone please tell me
> when this has been recieived and filed?

Jim, the ASF secretary, recorded it yesterday...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: nutch graduation?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.
I just faxed a software grant to Apache.  Can someone please tell me
when this has been recieived and filed?  Thanks.  (My understanding is
that this information is in the foundation CVS repository, which I
cannot access as I am not an ASF member.)

Doug

Re: nutch graduation?

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 02:01 PM 4/19/2005, Roy T.Fielding wrote:
>On Apr 18, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>>I suppose we could also transfer the Nutch copyright, trademark, logo, etc. if desired.  Nutch does not have a registered trademark.  I don't know whether any of this is worthwhile.  The Nutch non-profit corporation will be disbanded once Nutch graduates.
>
>You should definitely perform a complete transfer (assign all rights
>and interest to those things) to the ASF *before* disbanding.  In most
>states that is a legal requirement for nonprofit corporations and
>you might get in trouble if you did not handle it formally.

I would take this one step further, and wait till you received
a written (paper) ACK from the ASF secretary that your contribution
is acknowledged.  And I like it even better that you plan to
keep the nfp until graduation.

Bill

Re: nutch graduation?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Apr 18, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt
>
> Is that what I should file?

Yes, at least for now.

> I suppose we could also transfer the Nutch copyright, trademark, logo,
> etc. if desired.  Nutch does not have a registered trademark.  I don't
> know whether any of this is worthwhile.  The Nutch non-profit
> corporation will be disbanded once Nutch graduates.

You should definitely perform a complete transfer (assign all rights
and interest to those things) to the ASF *before* disbanding.  In most
states that is a legal requirement for nonprofit corporations and
you might get in trouble if you did not handle it formally.

....Roy

Re: nutch graduation?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org>.

RE: nutch graduation?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Doug,

> One step remaining is the filing of documents with
> the ASF to transfer rights.

Can you clarify what rights are to be transfered?  Is this something more
than a Software Grant?  Please advise, and then I can contact our legal
folks if/as necessary.

	--- Noel