Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> on 2008/04/10 11:44:24 UTC

[VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

The Apache UIMA committers ask the Apache Incubator PMC for permission to publish a new bug fix
release of Apache UIMA version 2.2.2. This release contains bug fixes of for release version 2.2.1
that was published in December 2007. For details about the fixes, please have a look at the release
notes.

We had a vote on uima-dev that resulted in 6 binding +1s
(all the committers) and no 0s or -1s.  The vote thread
is here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-uima-dev/200804.mbox/%3c47F74B4A.6070201@michael-baessler.de%3e

Please review the release candidate here:
http://people.apache.org/~mbaessler/uimaj-2.2.2/05/

There are subdirectories like:
/bin - contains the binary distribution files
/src - contains the source distribution files
/rat - contains the RAT reports (using RAT 0.5.1) with some comments

The SVN tag for this release candidate is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.2.2/uimaj-2.2.2-05

The KEYS file can be found in the SVN at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/src/main/readme/KEYS

Please vote:
[ ] +1  Accept to release Apache UIMA 2.2.2
[ ] -1  No, because....

Thanks!

-- Michael

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Looks ok to me, +1

   ...ant

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
sebb wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Kulp wrote:

>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html

>> http://incubator.apache.org/uima/svn.html#building.command.line
>>
>>> Any particular reason you don't exclude this dependency in you poms and
>>>
>> then pull in a version that IS available.  Either the 1.1 version from
>> java.net:
>>
>>> http://download.java.net/maven/1/javax.activation/jars/
>>>
>>> or the geronimo-specs version available at central:
>>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/
>>>
>>> (In general, I prefer the geronimo specs versions, but it doesn't really
>>>
>> matter)
>>

>>  If that works, it'll be vastly preferable to the manual do-hicky
>>  we have now.  We'll follow up on uima-dev.
>>

> FYI: the Geronimo-specs approach works fine for building JMeter.

I changed the POM in the one project that references the
javax.activation, changing the dependency to
    <dependency>
      <artifactId>geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec</artifactId>
      <version>1.2</version>
      <scope>compile</scope>
    </dependency>

This seems to have done the trick - is that all that we need to do?
This artifact appears to be Apache v2 licensed.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I opened a Jira issue for this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-984

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
sebb wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>  > On 10/04/2008, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
>>  >> The Apache UIMA committers ask the Apache Incubator PMC for permission to publish a new bug fix
>>  >>  release of Apache UIMA version 2.2.2. This release contains bug fixes of for release version 2.2.1
>>  >>  that was published in December 2007. For details about the fixes, please have a look at the release
>>  >>  notes.
>>  >>
>>  >>  We had a vote on uima-dev that resulted in 6 binding +1s
>>  >>  (all the committers) and no 0s or -1s.  The vote thread
>>  >>  is here:
>>  >>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-uima-dev/200804.mbox/%3c47F74B4A.6070201@michael-baessler.de%3e
>>  >>
>>  >>  Please review the release candidate here:
>>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~mbaessler/uimaj-2.2.2/05/
>>  >>
>>  >>  There are subdirectories like:
>>  >>  /bin - contains the binary distribution files
>>  >>  /src - contains the source distribution files
>>  >>  /rat - contains the RAT reports (using RAT 0.5.1) with some comments
>>  >
>>  > Not sure I agree that RELEASE_NOTES don't require an AL header.
>>  > It would not do any harm to add the header.
>>  >

>> Most parts of the RELEASE_NOTES are generated using JIRA, so I thought we can apply the rule
>
> Which rule?

What files in an Apache release do not require a license header?

A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or its structure is not
protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file does not require a license header. If in doubt
about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:10 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2008, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
>  > sebb wrote:
>  >  > Problem building uimaj:
>  >  >
>  >  > 1) javax.activation:activation:jar:1.0.2
>  >  >

>  Unfortunately only the POM and metadata are present in the M2 repo for
>  that version - the jar is not present. I raised a JIRA issue for this:
>
>  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-2014

This is because Sun's license prevents this jar from being
redistributed from the central Maven repository:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-coping-with-sun-jars.html

In the build instructions on the UIMA website, we describe how to
obtain the jar yourself and add it to your local Maven repo:
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/svn.html#building.command.line

  -Adam

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/04/2008, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>  > On 10/04/2008, Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de> wrote:
>  >> The Apache UIMA committers ask the Apache Incubator PMC for permission to publish a new bug fix
>  >>  release of Apache UIMA version 2.2.2. This release contains bug fixes of for release version 2.2.1
>  >>  that was published in December 2007. For details about the fixes, please have a look at the release
>  >>  notes.
>  >>
>  >>  We had a vote on uima-dev that resulted in 6 binding +1s
>  >>  (all the committers) and no 0s or -1s.  The vote thread
>  >>  is here:
>  >>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-uima-dev/200804.mbox/%3c47F74B4A.6070201@michael-baessler.de%3e
>  >>
>  >>  Please review the release candidate here:
>  >>  http://people.apache.org/~mbaessler/uimaj-2.2.2/05/
>  >>
>  >>  There are subdirectories like:
>  >>  /bin - contains the binary distribution files
>  >>  /src - contains the source distribution files
>  >>  /rat - contains the RAT reports (using RAT 0.5.1) with some comments
>  >
>  > Not sure I agree that RELEASE_NOTES don't require an AL header.
>  > It would not do any harm to add the header.
>  >

> Most parts of the RELEASE_NOTES are generated using JIRA, so I thought we can apply the rule

Which rule?

>  mentioned on at http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html. But if you think it would be better to
>  have one, we will add a header next time. Hope that this is not a release stopper.

"If in doubt add the AL header"

Not a blocker per se.

>  > Problem building uimaj:
>  >
>  > 1) javax.activation:activation:jar:1.0.2
>  >
>  > <...>
>  >
>  >   Path to dependency:
>  >         1) org.apache.uima:uimaj-adapter-soap:jar:2.2.2-incubating
>  >         2) javax.activation:activation:jar:1.0.2
>  >
>  > Should it not be using a more recent version, e.g. 1.1 ?
>  >

> When I remember correctly, I think we explicitly use this version because of some license changes
>  for in the latter versions. Maybe some other UIMA committer can explain more detailed.

Unfortunately only the POM and metadata are present in the M2 repo for
that version - the jar is not present. I raised a JIRA issue for this:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-2014

>  >
>  >>  The SVN tag for this release candidate is:
>  >>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.2.2/uimaj-2.2.2-05
>  >>
>  >>  The KEYS file can be found in the SVN at:
>  >>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-distr/src/main/readme/KEYS
>  >>
>  >
>  > See separate e-mail regarding eol-style settings.
>  >
>  > Also, there are 3 .GIF files - the rest are all .gif. Could these be mistakes?
>

> We don't see any issues during our testing of this components (CDE plugin) but we will change it for
>  the next release to lower case.

Please!

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> 3) IMO its better if the jars include the version number - which they
>>> do for the maven repo, but not the ones in the binary distro
>>
>> I personally agree with you, but we had a long discussion about
>> this and the "no version numbers in jar names" faction carried
>> the day.  I believe the main reason is that it makes upgrading
>> to a new version easier, or switching between versions for
>> testing purposes.
> An other reason is due to not implementing yet Jira
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-857
>
> -Marshall

I don't understand the stripping part.  We don't have version
info in our jar file names, so where are we stripping anything?

--Thilo

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Adam Lally wrote:

>>> I personally agree with you, but we had a long discussion about
>>> this and the "no version numbers in jar names" faction carried
>>> the day.  I believe the main reason is that it makes upgrading
>>> to a new version easier, or switching between versions for
>>> testing purposes.
>>>
>>  We actually have a Jira issue that may address this, for the next release:
>>
>>  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-857
>>

> Among the UIMA committers, I'm the main proponent of the "no version
> numbers in jar names".  Jar file names that change in each version
> have always driven me crazy because they force users to update their
> classpaths when they upgrade their UIMA version.  A lot of tools just
> don't handle this well - Eclipse is one example, AFAIK it doesn't give
> you any way to use wildcards in classpath so as to pick up any
> version.
>
> I don't see UIMA-857 as a solution, because UIMA is an embeddable
> component and people want to take our jar files and add them to their
> classpaths using typical Java means.  I personally wouldn't be happy
> relying on some special UIMA mechanism for finding its jar files.

Me neither.  If it's just for the command line tooling, that's
fine with me (I never use it anyway ;-).  Even then, it's just
one more thing that can go wrong.  I don't want version numbers
in jar file names that bad :-)

--Thilo

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:55 AM, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>
> > The time people have to spend chasing bugs because someone doesn't
> > have the right version on the classpath (or possibly multiple versions
> > without knowing it) can be better spent on solving actual bugs,
> > writing documentation or implementing new features.
> >

>  Or by reviewing our release and voting on it :-)
>
>  Seriously, we're having interesting debates here about
>  version numbers in jar file names and svn eol styles.
>  And we are taking these things to heart.  However,
>  at the same time, we *would* like to release UIMA
>  2.2.2 now, and we're 1 (one) vote short.  Anyone?

+1 for release

jar file names and svn eol styles can be tweaked on next release.

>  --Thilo

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 4/23/08, Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
>  Among the UIMA committers, I'm the main proponent of the "no version
>  numbers in jar names".  Jar file names that change in each version
>  have always driven me crazy because they force users to update their
>  classpaths when they upgrade their UIMA version.  A lot of tools just
>  don't handle this well - Eclipse is one example, AFAIK it doesn't give
>  you any way to use wildcards in classpath so as to pick up any
>  version.

I'm very against removing version numbers from jar files. The benefit
of exactly knowing which version is actually on my classpath outweighs
any benefit of having to modify the classpath manually. Startup
scripts can generate a classpath very easily on both Windows and unix
like systems.

The time people have to spend chasing bugs because someone doesn't
have the right version on the classpath (or possibly multiple versions
without knowing it) can be better spent on solving actual bugs,
writing documentation or implementing new features.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

Re: [VOTE] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Hi Niall,

Niall Pemberton wrote:
> Firstly, I'm +1 on this release. I have a few minor
> comments/suggestions which you may want to consider for the next
> release (or not!)
>
> 1) Theres a parent pom for apache which if you make the parent of the
> uimaj pom means you don't have to duplicate the license and
> organization details in your poms:
>    http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/

sounds good, we'll look into it.

> 2) The source distro unzips to directory "uimaj-2.2.2-incubating" and
> the binary distro to "apache-uima" - which is inconsistent.

I don't recall if there was a reason for this, but I agree,
seems odd.  We'll follow up on uima-dev.

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Hi Niall,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Firstly, I'm +1 on this release. I have a few minor
comments/suggestions which you may want to consider for the next
release (or not!)

1) Theres a parent pom for apache which if you make the parent of the
uimaj pom means you don't have to duplicate the license and
organization details in your poms:
   http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/apache/

2) The source distro unzips to directory "uimaj-2.2.2-incubating" and
the binary distro to "apache-uima" - which is inconsistent.

3) IMO its better if the jars include the version number - which they
do for the maven repo, but not the ones in the binary distro

Niall

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Michael Baessler

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hello Incubator PMC -

Thank you for your reviews of this; please do not confuse this with
another release vote just posted for the UIMA Add-on package, which is
another piece of the project, moving forward under a separate packaging
and vote.

For this vote, so far we have 1 +1 vote (only).  Could some others
please review and cast their votes?

Thanks again. -Marshall Schor

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Approve release Apache UIMA 2.2.2-incubating

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
This vote has been open for more than 14 days.
We have 3 binding +1s, no 0s and 1 -1s.

Votes were cast by:

Ant Elder (+1)
Niall Pemberton (+1)
Sam Ruby (+1)

The vote passes. Thank you all for checking our release!

-- Michael

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Is there anything else needed from the UIMA team to get this release approved?

-- Michael

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.