Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nikita Gubenko <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 14:13:41 UTC

email notifications & hooks

Hello
Are there any email notifications in cloudstack or any "hooks" where I can
add notifications myself? For example on VM create/destroy/etc

--
Best Regards, Nikita Gubenko

Re: email notifications & hooks

Posted by prasanna <ts...@apache.org>.
On 10 April 2013 17:43, Nikita Gubenko <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> Are there any email notifications in cloudstack or any "hooks" where I can
> add notifications myself? For example on VM create/destroy/etc

If you are using 4.0.0 or 4.0.1 or any prior release then
notifications are based on listEvents output. This is the same thing
you see on the top left of the UI that gives you notifications for vm
create, destroy etc. For email I'm not sure if events can be put into
them. You'll need to set up an smtp host and tweak the settings in the
alert.smtp.host|user|password configuration in the global settings.

With 4.1 (about to release in a week or two) cloudstack pushes such
events in to a an event bus like Rabbit MQ. You'll need to externally
set that up and there is more control on subscribing to the class of
notifications you are interested in. There is a spec published on how
this works , not quite a deployment document but I think you can glean
the essentials out of it:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Event+Notification+with+message+oriented+middleware+Proposal

You can take the rabbitMQ stuff for a spin if you like once the RC
vote begins for a release artifact.

Re: email notifications & hooks

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.
On 11/04/13 5:56 PM, "Chip Childers" <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:21:28PM +0000, Nitin Mehta wrote:
>> Since its a user community I would have liked to look at a way of using
>>it
>> seeing a default implementation. The FS suggests different use cases it
>> can be used in a deployment scenario.
>> Can you please educate us if there is indeed an implementation and how
>> enable it ?
>
>Rabbit MQ is the implementation being provided in the upcoming 4.1
>release.  A basic documentation page will be in that release's admin
>guide.  If someone wants to give this a try, they will need to pull in
>the 4.1 branch to test before we release.

4.1 documentation for events-framework is at

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=blob;f=docs/en-U
S/event-framework.xml;h=88c45c9033d4b048be67e6f746a55720d052ea4c;hb=refs/he
ads/4.1

Re: email notifications & hooks

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.