Posted to dev@annotator.apache.org by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID> on 2020/04/02 08:04:00 UTC

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Call reminder; this is 7 hours from now.
<https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
After a few weeks of confusion as our usual call participants switched
to winter time, we moved the weekly call time from 15:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC.

So for any people interested in getting involved with Annotator in one
way or another, be welcome to join our community call: every Thursday,
16:00 UTC, in <https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>.

— Gerben

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

RE: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Reminder: Next call in one hour; 15:00 UTC, in
<https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Should we bring drinks for small release party? :)

And we should discuss updating website content, documentation, etcetera.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Reminder: Next call in two hours; 15:00 UTC, in <https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Notes of tasks discussed in today’s call (which lacked a reminder, but
the rhythm is unchanged):

- propose the release to the incubator mailing list
- create more welcoming documentation to help people understand what
Annotator does, what it does not (or not yet), and how to use it.
- make an example code showing how to use it; perhaps the current demo
would work for this, but we should add a link to its source code on the
website
- look into approaches for documentation going forward; perhaps use
tsdoc and publish its output on the website
- organise and label our open issues, use the issue tracker more
{in|ex}tensively
- try to provide more clarification about the relations and statuses of
related projects, especially AnnotatorJs.
- finish current PRs (typescript & dom-tests), keep on coding

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Next call is in an hour (15:00 UTC), in
<https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Besides status updates and any other topics that come up, I would be
glad to discuss the work around tests that I did this week (see pull
request #79 that I just opened); and what to focus on now/next.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
No problem. We mainly discussed releasing (Randall is on it), creating
tests (I am on it), why are APIs are async and if we may want to provide
a synchronous API too/instead.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Next call is in less than two hours (15:00 UTC), in <https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Next call is in three hours (15:00 UTC), in
<https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Possible topics to discuss:
- Oliver asked for feedback on his grant proposals around annotation interop
- I started to set up testing for anchoring in the DOM, and could use
some more brains on how to approach this.
- whatever comes up.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Next call is in two hours (15:00 UTC), in
<https://meet.jit.si/apache-annotator>

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.
Notes of some things discussed today (feel free to supplement):

– supporting WorldBrain’s Memex use case (see relevant thread); a good
start may be to have a corpus of documents and annotations for those to
create a test suite with.
– relatedly, the idea came up to help our users anchor annotations
created by Hypothesis[0] or H-derived applications. This could make it
easier for such applications to start using Apache Annotator, without
worrying that their existing annotations will no longer anchor as
before. We could approach this either in usage examples, or in our code
base itself (perhaps we accept an ‘H compatibility mode’ flag?);
possibly by wrapping the actual Hypothesis anchoring code with our
asynchronous API.
– generally, we lack an easy way to describe a target selection in
multiple ways, and conversely an easy way to resolve (anchor) a bunch of
alternative selectors (using some strategy of e.g. the order in which to
try apply them).
– for approximate text quote anchoring, we may want to look into Robert
Knight’s work again[1].
– we could easily add support for anchoring an XPathSelector[2] using
modern browsers’ built-in XPathEvaluator[3]. Conversely, i.e. describing
selections as XPaths, is not as obvious to solve as there are many ways
to describe the same target.

[0] https://hypothes.is/
[1] https://github.com/robertknight/approx-string-match-js/
[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/REC-annotation-model-20170223/#xpath-selector
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XPathEvaluator

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Running late again. But am planning to join.
________________________________

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Planning to join, but will be a few minutes late. Talk soon!
Posted by Gerben <ge...@treora.com.INVALID>.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Weekly calls/chats?