Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/09/15 20:42:40 UTC

generating pdf (was Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual/style/css manual-loose-100pc.css)

André Malo wrote:

> I have some problems with printing to PDF files directly when embedding
> fonts. I guess it has to do with the unicode arrow, which I used for
> links in the printer CSS... Am I alone with that problem?
>
> However, for now I would suggest a quickhack ;-):
>
> cp manual.css manual.css.bak && cp manual-print.css manual.css

The problem is that I would need to do that on httpd.apache.org because
I'm using Acrobat web capture, and it will make some external links
directly to the pages.  I don't want those to point to my local checkout.

Luckily, it seems that web capture is smart enough to automatically use
the "print" stylesheet.  Unluckily, it seems to be using a 14pt font
size, no matter what I do.  That makes the damn thing way too long.  I'm
still working on it.

> for the future: I'd say we should take a look at XSL formatting objects
> for creating PDF directly from XML data. What do you think about this
> option?

Yep, that is the direction I was thinking of going eventually.

> Within 2-3 weeks I personally should have the time to learn more about
> XSL-FO, do we have any experts here?

I'm just at the learning stage as well.

Joshua.