Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Alexander L. Belikoff" <al...@belikoff.net> on 2004/09/29 11:49:05 UTC

Re: A question on version numbers

On Friday 24 September 2004 11:19, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> "Simon Large" <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk> writes:
> > I believe anything except extremely old C dialects guarantees that int is
> > at least 16 bits and long is at least 32 bits. Unfortunately I can't find
> > the official spec right now. 32 bit long was certainly widely used when
> > the PC was a 16 bit machine. Maybe if you are building SVN to run on an
> > 8-bit micro
>
> You're right -- I just misread my ANSI C doc in a dumb way.  A long
> int is guaranteed to be at least 32 bits.  Sorry for the confusion.

Really?!?! I may be quite wrong, but AFAIR, the *only* thing ANSI C guarantees
is that long int is *no less* in size than int (which, in turn is no less
than short etc etc).

I understand that it may not be an issue here as no one is going to support
SVN on CP/M maching running on Zylog 8080, but relying on certain long size
guarantees tends to bite someone in the a$$ especially when porting to 64 bit
architectures... ;-)

--
Alexander L. Belikoff
PGP/GPG fingerprint: 0D58 A804 1AB1 4CD8 8DA9 424B A86E CD0D 8424 2701

Re: A question on version numbers

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com> writes:

> kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>>>Really?!?! I may be quite wrong, but AFAIR, the *only* thing ANSI C
>>>guarantees is that long int is *no less* in size than int (which, in
>>>turn is no less than short etc etc).
>> K&R (ANSI C) Second Edition, page 18, middle:
>>    "long integers are at least 32 bits."
>
> IIRC, that K&R 2e book was released before the final ANSI C
> standard was ratified and isn't considered to be authoritative.
> (that isn't to say you aren't right, but just so you know...)

  International Standard ISO/IEC 9899

    5.2.4.2.1 Sizes of integer types <limits.h>

       LONG_MAX  2147483647  // 2^31-1

A conforming implementation cannot use a smaller value.

--
Philip Martin

Re: A question on version numbers

Posted by Michael Sweet <mi...@easysw.com>.

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Alexander L. Belikoff" <al...@belikoff.net> writes:
> > You're right -- I just misread my ANSI C doc in a dumb way.  A long
> > int is guaranteed to be at least 32 bits.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Really?!?! I may be quite wrong, but AFAIR, the *only* thing ANSI C
> guarantees is that long int is *no less* in size than int (which, in
> turn is no less than short etc etc).

K&R (ANSI C) Second Edition, page 18, middle:

   "long integers are at least 32 bits."

-Karl