Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@collab.net> on 2005/02/24 18:20:51 UTC

Re: Subversion Branding / "whole product" (Was: Re: SmartSVN - a new Subversion client)

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 09:55 -0500, Steve Dwire wrote:

> And, (again), I recall that even "SVK" was once called
> "SubversionKeeper", and there was a reason list members persuaded the
> author to remove the "Subversion" from the name.

That wasn't due to "Subversion" in the name--it was due to the "keeper"
part.  We didn't see any reason to deliberately mimic the name of
BitKeeper, and advised clkao accordingly.

> At this point I'm at a loss to understand the logic of supporting "SVN"
> in some projects, complaining about it in others, and (almost)
> arm-twisting the removal of the Subversion name from others...   I
> suppose we can chalk it up to the dynamic nature of dev@ list
> participation, but it seems to me that the start of any "whole product"
> understanding would depend on having some sort of consistent philosophy
> on Subversion/SVN branding expectations.

I suspect the difference is that most of the "*svn*" projects to date
have been open source add-ons to Subversion.  SmartSVN seems to be 1)
commercial software and 2) a complete Subversion client.

-Fitz

Re: Subversion Branding / "whole product" (Was: Re: SmartSVN - a new Subversion client)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:27 PM -0600 Ben Collins-Sussman
<su...@collab.net> wrote:

> I think the critical bit is that it shares zero code with "core" Subversion.
> Every other piece of software in the Subversion ecosystem is sharing the
> same core library code, all using the same APIs.  This is the first time a
> product is using the term 'SVN' to mean, "interoperates with Subversion",
> rather than "built on Subversion's codebase."

Yes, my thoughts exactly.  Hence, they shouldn't use our name.  -- justin

Re: Subversion Branding / "whole product" (Was: Re: SmartSVN - a new Subversion client)

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.