Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/11/04 15:53:07 UTC

Re: Moderation

On 04/11/2016 15:47, Chris Mattmann wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Kelly Sommers sent a message to dev@cassandra and I'm trying to figure out if it's in moderation.
>
> Can the moderators speak up?

Using my infra karma, I checked the mail server. That message is waiting
for moderator approval. It has been in moderation for 12 hours which
doesn't strike me as at all excessive.

Mark

Re: Moderation

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> So seriously, we're going to send now 4 emails talking about what a user of Apache Cassandra and possible community member could have done right or better or sooner, or that there is no time limit to moderating shit when it could have been as simple as literally sending a confirmation email to moderate it through? This is the definition of process over community. And it's the definition (wrongly so) of why people think it's "Apache" that induces the processes that make shit hard, and not the community itself. Seriously this is a joke. So what if she didn't do it right the first time. You think potentially moderating her mail through and then sending a kind email suggesting she look at the instructions for how to subscribe, which oh someone may not have found easy to do or simply not understood that simply sending an email to the list wouldn't have made it go through the first time? Is it that hard to figure out? Really?
>
> This is the definition of making things hard and not making them easy or friendly. And this is also exactly what enables people to sound off on Twitter about a project, and loses the conversation that could have been had on Apache mailing lists. Kelly has been tweeting for days. I saw her tweets retweeted by someone in my feed, and yesterday asked her kindly to bring her conversation to the list. 12 hours later it's still in moderation, and we are arguing whether to f'ing moderate it through. Wow. Great job.

Wait, what?  As a moderator of this list (unpaid, volunteer), did I
miss the SLA I was being held to?  Are you volunteering to moderate
this list?

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Moderation

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
I'm not a PMC, and given everything that's happened recently, I no longer
have any desire to be.

I have nothing against improving the moderator situation.  What I have, and
continue to have, is something against the way you and the board go about
things.

Re: Moderation

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yet you act like it's volunteer time that's preventing moderating a message through in 12 hours.

Here it is again, 12 hours.  If we have a 12 hour SLA on moderation,
then you can remove me as a moderator; I can't do that.

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Moderation