Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Robert Lasater <ro...@ineight.net> on 2015/03/31 19:25:04 UTC

Inventory Transfer and Shipping Scenario

We have an interesting scenario we deal with once a month. We have a
customer who orders two different products on the same order.

Product one is sold directly, shipped and payment gets received.
Product two is sent to another facility and the customer pays us on scan,
when a product is sold.

If both products are put into OFBIZ on the same Sales Order, we must ship
one product and transfer the other product to another facility.

The question is, is there a way to do the following:

1) Transfer one product to another facility and track the shipping expense.
2) Pack and Ship the other product as normal.
3) All using the same Sales Order.

Thanks

Robert

Re: Inventory Transfer and Shipping Scenario

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Robert,
I agree with the solution you have proposed. All your retail/dealer
locations (or any other channel of sales) will be setup as facility in
OFBiz. OFBiz has support for Inventory transfer process. When needed you
can do Stock Move between facility locations.
​
When Inventory from alternate facility (retail location) is sold, The user
should set the correct "ship from facility" in the order entry process. I
have not run this process myself in OOTB OFBiz, it is possible that UI
tools may not exists for some steps in the business process, please be
prepared to spend some effort on minor enhancements. I am aware of few
OFBiz installations that have similar business needs.

I and Jacopo will be in SLC during next week, If you need further help or
if you will like to have a conversation in person, we can get together for
a coffee :)

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Inventory Transfer and Shipping Scenario

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Robert,

Please see my comments  inline:

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Robert Lasater <ro...@ineight.net> wrote:

> Those products are send to the customer on consignment. Technically, we
> still own the product until it is sold, by our customer. Only when it is
> actually sold should we remove it from our inventory. For accounting
> purposes, we need to track that inventory as a current asset, until it is
> sold by them. Make sense?
>
> Clearly, we need to send that product through the shipping process.
> However, if it is possible, we would like to maintain it in inventory.

Yes business process is making much more sense now. Now to answer your
question, OFBiz does not supports this work flow Out of the box. When you
pack item and ship it, items are issued and inventory counts are reduced.
Now if you would like to process shipping and still you would like to
maintain inventory, you will have to do customizations. To give some clue
here, In OFBiz how products should be fulfilled is decided by type of
Product. You can define new product type and make customizations in
fulfillment process based on this new product type.

> Here is another possibility:
>
> 1) Ship product one from 'main facility
> 2) Transfer product two over to 'second' facility
> 3) Ship product two from 'second' facility as it gets sold by our client
>
> Is that possible?

I guess this approach is better than above one. To answer your question
again, this is not some thing which is supported out of the box in OFBiz.
You will have to do customizations here as well. But I guess going this
route is better approach. What you can do is create new productType here as
well and when order for this product is placed, you create one workEffort
(task for warehouse person). This task is for transferring inventory
product two over to second facility.  Once inventory transfer is complete ,
you mark task as resolved and order should get marked completed after this
process. But you will have to do coding for this. This is just one approach
, there can be better solutions as well.

Once product is transferred to second facility, you follow general
fulfillment workflow, when item is actually sold.

> It would be much easier if it were two separate orders. However, the client
> places this a single order.

OFBiz allows to take orders of different products types in single order
.For example you can take digital item and finished good in single order
and fulfillment work flow is different for both the products. One all items
are fulfilled, order will be marked completed.

Thanks
--
Divesh Dutta.

Posted by Robert Lasater <ro...@ineight.net>.