Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Hugues Pichereau <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com> on 2007/11/05 14:32:02 UTC

Problem with wicket authentication

Hi,

I would like to use Wicket authentication, as in the examples.
So I modified the Wicket QuickStart project to use authentication, like this:

public class WicketApplication extends AuthenticatedWebApplication {

   public WicketApplication() {
   }

   public Class getHomePage() {
      return HomePage.class;
   }

   @Override
   protected Class<? extends WebPage> getSignInPageClass() {
      return LoginPage.class;
   }

   @Override
   protected Class<? extends AuthenticatedWebSession> getWebSessionClass() {
      return WicketSession.class;
   }
}

public class WicketSession extends AuthenticatedWebSession {

   public WicketSession(AuthenticatedWebApplication application, Request request) {
      super(application, request);
   }

   @Override
   public boolean authenticate(String arg0, String arg1) {
      return false; // should block everybody
   }

   @Override
   public Roles getRoles() {
      return null;
   }
}

HomePage.html has:

public class HomePage extends WebPage {

   public HomePage(final PageParameters parameters) {
      add(new PageLink("goto-admin", AdminPage.class));
   }
}

LoginPage.html has:

public final class LoginPage extends SignInPage {
}

And finally, the admin page to protect:

@AuthorizeInstantiation("USER")
public class AdminPage extends WebPage {
}

The problem is that a click from the HomePage always brings the AdminPage, without any
LoginPage displayed.

I used Wicket 1.3 beta4.

After reading the Wicket example and 2 tutorials on authentication, I really can't see what I'm missing.
Any idea ?

Hugues

Re: Problem with wicket authentication

Posted by Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>.
well that's not quite what hugues wants to achieve, I think that roles
returns null should _not_ give the current user any roles, sothat the admin
page is _not_ accessible

from my point of view, you should go for wicket-security too (yepp that's
shameless maurice-promoting :-)). or at least you should have a look at it
to decide what suites you better.

I think I had a similar problem when I first tried wicket-auth-roles and had
to use SignInPage in the getHomePage method too ... which seemed quite weird
to me.

Ayodeji Aladejebi wrote:

> [...]
> }
>

> On 11/6/07, Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You are using the wrong authorization framework!
>>
>> :) No seriously now. I don't know what is wrong with your code,
>> although the authenticate method might give some useful debugging
>> info.
>> There is however a second authorization framework for wicket called
>> Swarm. you might want to check it out.
>> http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/Wicket-Security
>>
>> Maurice
>>
>> P.S. warning: shameless self-promoting :)
>>

>> On Nov 5, 2007 2:32 PM, Hugues Pichereau <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I would like to use Wicket authentication, as in the examples.
>> > So I modified the Wicket QuickStart project to use authentication, like
>> this:
>> >
>> > public class WicketApplication extends AuthenticatedWebApplication {
>> >
>> >    public WicketApplication() {
>> >    }
>> >
>> >    public Class getHomePage() {
>> >       return HomePage.class;
>> >    }
>> >
>> >    @Override
>> >    protected Class<? extends WebPage> getSignInPageClass() {
>> >       return LoginPage.class;
>> >    }
>> >
>> >    @Override
>> >    protected Class<? extends AuthenticatedWebSession>
>> getWebSessionClass() {
>> >       return WicketSession.class;
>> >    }
>> > }
>> >

>> > public class WicketSession extends AuthenticatedWebSession {
>> >
>> >    public WicketSession(AuthenticatedWebApplication application,
>> Request
>> request) {
>> >       super(application, request);
>> >    }
>> >
>> >    @Override
>> >    public boolean authenticate(String arg0, String arg1) {
>> >       return false; // should block everybody
>> >    }
>> >
>> >    @Override
>> >    public Roles getRoles() {
>> >       return null;
>> >    }
>> > }
>> >

>> > HomePage.html has:
>> >  # Admin page
>> >
>> > public class HomePage extends WebPage {
>> >
>> >    public HomePage(final PageParameters parameters) {
>> >       add(new PageLink("goto-admin", AdminPage.class));
>> >    }
>> > }
>> >

>> > LoginPage.html has:
>> >

>> > public final class LoginPage extends SignInPage {
>> > }
>> >

>> > And finally, the admin page to protect:
>> >
>> > @AuthorizeInstantiation("USER")
>> > public class AdminPage extends WebPage {
>> > }
>> >
>> > The problem is that a click from the HomePage always brings the
>> AdminPage, without any
>> > LoginPage displayed.
>> >
>> > I used Wicket 1.3 beta4.
>> >
>> > After reading the Wicket example and 2 tutorials on authentication, I

-----
Michael Sparer
http://talk-on-tech.blogspot.com

Re: Problem with wicket authentication

Posted by Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hugues Pichereau <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com>.
Mmh, I though I was replying to each one in the thread by using the "Reply to
author" button, but looks like private emails were sent...
Anyway, I was saying I tried all recommendations, and the result was still
the same.
And I probably will try the Swarm way (if nobody has more clue...)

Thanks all,
Hugues

Posted by Sebastiaan van Erk <se...@sebster.com>.

Hugues Pichereau wrote:

> Sebastiaan van Erk wrote:
>> [...]
>> If you do override init, make sure to call super.init()
>>
> Whao! well done, Sebastiaan, I was overriding init(), and not calling
> super.init();
> Now it works.
>
> But what bugs me is that it solves my own application (where init() was
> overrided), but not the modified Wicket QuickStart application (where init()
> was NOT overrided) :confused:

Use the same method with breakpoints to check that init() of the
AuthenticatedWebApplication is hit. My bet is that you have the wrong
application class in your web.xml.

Regards,
Sebastiaan

Posted by Hugues Pichereau <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com>.

Posted by Sebastiaan van Erk <se...@sebster.com>.
Looks good to me.

Posted by Hugues Pichereau <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com>.
Ok, I had just a look at the Swarm home page, and didn't go further, but
promise I will look at it deeper, now I know it's simple.

Swarm is designed to be plain and simple.
In short this is what you need to do:
1 implement Principal (i could see about a reasonable default
implementation , but my guess is you want to store this in a database
anyway and i am not sure i want a dependency on jpa)
2 create policy files
3 implement WaspApplication (by extending SwarmApplication)

Off the top of my hat, that is al you need to get the default running.
Off course if you want something special you need something more, but
where don't you need to do that.

But if you feel we could improve on some areas, let me know.

Maurice

On Nov 6, 2007 10:35 PM,  <wk...@hugues-pichereau.com> wrote:
> I wished to try the basic Wicket authentication because it looked plain
> simple (and simplicity and fewer code is my mantra!)
> I had seen the Swarm one, but it didn't look as straightforward. Maybe I
> will give it a try if I can't go with the standard one.
>
> Regards,
> Hugues

-----
Regards,