Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp> on 2002/03/06 08:09:49 UTC

Re: Raw Instrumentation Data Format [was: Commit: New AltProfile package...]

Hello,

See comments below.

Leif wrote:

||| Ok, I went ahead and implemented this (FORMAT 1) as the default
||| behavior for the profiler manager.
||| It will read state files in either format, but the method can be set for
||| writes using the
||| use-compact-samples attribute in profiler.xml.

I think it would be better to have a standard format for the
data file, so that anyone can write an alternative tool for
processing the raw persistent instrumentation data.

The format can be versioned, to allow for changes in the future.

So these raw data files look the same (outside of versioning
differences) for all instrumented Avalon components, everywhere.
Then there can be tools for doing whatever people want with
the raw data. The normal ones can be included with Avalon
and if someone has some weird need they can write their own,
comfortable in the knowledge that it will work with other
Avalon systems, even ones running since before they wrote it.

Ryan