Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Barber, Dan (Contractor)" <Da...@Polycom.com> on 2007/06/04 18:29:48 UTC

Alternate back-ends

We are looking to connect Apache Directory to an existing database in
one of our products. I have the one small example on replacing a back
end, is there any more information out there? The one example seems to
show specifying a different backend another way, through server.xml for
instance? Any information you are aware of would likely be helpful.

Also, is this the right place to ask about building the apache source or
should I ask a different mailing list?

Thanks,

Dan Barber

Re: Alternate back-ends

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Barber, Dan (Contractor) a écrit :

>I have an answer for the first question now. We will be connecting to MS Sql 2005 using JDBC with hopes of communicating to any SQL DB using JDBC. If you have any further questions, please ask, I know your ability to help will directly depends on how much good information we can give you.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Dan Barber

Are you ready for a loooooonnnng travel ? ;)

Using a RDBMS as a backend is certainly not an easy task, regarding the
data structure. Howeve, it can be done, as IBM backs IDS with DB2.

Doing so with ADS will certainly take more than one month...

Hopefully, people like you may help :)

Emmanuel

RE: Alternate back-ends

Posted by "Barber, Dan (Contractor)" <Da...@Polycom.com>.
I have an answer for the first question now. We will be connecting to MS Sql 2005 using JDBC with hopes of communicating to any SQL DB using JDBC. If you have any further questions, please ask, I know your ability to help will directly depends on how much good information we can give you.

Sincerely,

Dan Barber

>We are looking to connect Apache Directory to an existing database in
>one of our products. I have the one small example on replacing a back
>end, is there any more information out there? The one example seems to
>show specifying a different backend another way, through server.xml for
>instance? Any information you are aware of would likely be helpful.

Well, there is not so much informations about switching from JDBM to
another backend, because it has not been done yet. But if you feel like
doing it, we will be there to help, for sure !
Which database are you targeting?

>Also, is this the right place to ask about building the apache source or
>should I ask a different mailing list?

Sure, this is the right place. Which version are you using ?

Thanks,
Emmanuel

RE: Alternate back-ends

Posted by "Barber, Dan (Contractor)" <Da...@Polycom.com>.
Emmanuel,

Thanks for all the help so far. I've switched to 2.0.6 of Maven. I initially had installed that then switched to 2.0.4, now I've switched back.

I'm using the 6.0_01 version of the jdk.

I've attached the log I think you were wanting to see. Let me know if I need to paste it in rather than attach it.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

RE: Alternate back-ends