Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Shah, Sanjay" <Sa...@tfn.com> on 2003/01/09 19:52:55 UTC

FTP and Tomcat

Craig,

Thanks. What do you mean by standard FTP server?  Is that a separate from
Tomcat?
If so, which FTP server did you use?  Is it possible to integrate that ftp
server to tomcat?
I am trying to give secure ftp access to clients after their authentication.
And I am trying to use tomcat as Request handler server providing
authentication.

Thanks

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Shah, Sanjay wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:52:55 -0500
> From: "Shah, Sanjay" <Sa...@tfn.com>
> To: 'Craig R. McClanahan' <cr...@apache.org>
> Cc: 'Tomcat Users List' <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: FTP and Tomcat
>
> Craig,
>
> Thanks. What do you mean by standard FTP server?  Is that a separate from
> Tomcat?
> If so, which FTP server did you use?

I've used several -- including WU-FTPD that Red Hat documents.  Solaris
comes with one as well.

>  Is it possible to integrate that ftp
> server to tomcat?
> I am trying to give secure ftp access to clients after their authentication.
> And I am trying to use tomcat as Request handler server providing
> authentication.

I don't know of any standard TCP client apps that will support
authenticating across HTTP and transferring files over FTP, so it's not
clear to me that such an animal would be useful even if it did exist.
Also, if you're just downloading files, why not just let them download the
files via HTTP already since they are already interacting with you that
way?

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make the same usernames and passwords
work for both -- find an FTP server that lets you plug in an
authentication module (some of them use PAM for that sort of thing), and
configure the plugin so that it looks at the same database or whatever
that you point Tomcat at.

Craig

RE: FTP and Tomcat

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If the purpose for the FTP server is to allow remote admin of the contents
of the web apps, I suggest that you consider using WebDAV.  Tomcat has
WebDAV support, although I prefer to use mod_dav instead.

	--- Noel