Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/07 15:54:48 UTC

Help OFBiz Help - day

Dear All,

Did you know that OFBiz contains a solution delivering a help to each
screen accessed? And do you use it?

Currently for following applications/components help is available:

   - Accounting
   - Commonext
   - Content
   - Humanres
   - Marketing
   - Order
   - Party
   - Product
   - SpecialPurpose/Ebay
   - SpecialPurpose/EbayStore
   - SpecialPurpose/Example
   - SpecialPurpose/Googlebase
   - SpecialPurpose/ProjectMgr
   - SpecialPurpose/Scrum

But, the help documents aren't complete (and in several cases not
up-to-date) and for some applications/components totally missing (e.g.
manufacturing). Also, documents mainly exist in English (only a few
documents are in e.g. Dutch, Italian of French).

As you would probably agree, the help document for a screen should be the
first place to look when an end-user looks for help.

What if we create a dedicated 'Help-OFBiz-Help' moment to improve and
extend the help documents?
Create the structure for applications that don't have it currently, create
the missing English documents for each screen accessible, embed it in the
help structure and extend the localized versions?

How do you feel about this plan? Please provide your feedback/thoughts on
this and how you can contribute, in order for us to establish a plan.

Regards,

Pierre

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
All, Tom

The umbrella issue for the first anual 'Help OFBiz Help'-day is created
along with some sub tasks. See:

Do you feel a sub task is missing that you want to work on, feel free to
add a comment to the umbrella issue or add the sub task your self

Regards,

Pierre

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Tom Burns wrote:
> Hans,
>
> I really like the descriptions for Product Store.
>
> They are clear, concise and as you say available in both the forms and webtools.
>
> For purpose of discussion I'll the define the field descriptions as Reference Data*.
>

> Ideally there should be a 'golden copy' of the Reference Data in one place.
>
> The Product Store data is not in the entitymodel.xml but in ProductEntityLabels.xml.
> I wish it was in entitymodel.xml, the model should be responsible for knowing the meaning of it's data.

You need labels for i18n...

> Currently Product Store is the only entity recording field descriptions following the idiom:
> key="FieldDescription.Entity.fieldToDescribe">
> key="FieldDescription.ProductStore.usePrimaryEmailUsername">
> There are only 97 fields in the db labeled this way.
>
> As part of the documentation effort we need to create field descriptions.
> Where should we put the 'golden copy'?
> In the DB or establish a best practice following the idiom used for Product Store.

Because of i18n, I guess the labels is the way...

> There will still be a need to add field descriptionsin the Help to expand on and clarify the use of some fields.

These are 2 different things/levels indeed.

> Pierre,
>
> This is as good a time as any to come up with a good set of field definitions.
> Should modifying the Entitymodel.xml or EntityLabels.xml be in scope.
> It's no more work (and adds move value) then maintenance of the HelpData.xml files with all their content stuff.

As I said, 2 different purposes: a tooltip is not a help where you can refine details... Also tooltips are not so obvious, maybe we
should help users to be aware about their existence...

Jacques

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
See my previous message

Jacques

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Dear all,

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Tom,

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Tom Burns <tr...@yahoo.com>.
Useability Guidelines

________________________________

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Please don't try and tell me what I believe, I have no problem with you posting to the dev list so long as you're contributing and not asking basic questions.

But nobody else cross posts and most of us subscribe to both lists.  You've done this repeatedly over the last few weeks, I understand that you think your messages are very important but I can assure you they are no more important that anyone else's and we all seem to get by just fine by choosing one list to post our messages to.  It's just basic netiquette.

Regards
Scott

Re: Help OFBiz Help - day

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.