Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/02 02:08:33 UTC

release page is missing something

http://cxf.apache.org/release-management.html

Unless I'm more confused than usual, there's an aspect of the release
process which isn't quite detailed here.

In addition to the maven artifacts, there's the tarballs and such.
Now, one wants to cut them from the tag, does one not? So isn't there
an extra step of manually co-ing from the tag to build the
distribution objects? The maven release plugin pulls from the tag to
build the maven artifacts, but those are different.

Re: release page is missing something

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 01 December 2008 8:08:33 pm Benson Margulies wrote:
> http://cxf.apache.org/release-management.html
>
> Unless I'm more confused than usual, there's an aspect of the release
> process which isn't quite detailed here.
>
> In addition to the maven artifacts, there's the tarballs and such.
> Now, one wants to cut them from the tag, does one not? So isn't there
> an extra step of manually co-ing from the tag to build the
> distribution objects? The maven release plugin pulls from the tag to
> build the maven artifacts, but those are different.

In CXF, they aren't different.   The "distribution" module uses the assembly
plugin to build the tarballs and such.   When you run the release:perform
stem, it checks out from the tag and builds everything, including the
distribution module which contains the tarballs/zips.   Those tar/zips are
also maven artifacts that do go into the maven repo, but they are also the
release zips/tars.

If you look at central, they are there:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/cxf/apache-cxf/2.1.3/

To make the "dist" directory, we just copy them from the maven dir and delete
*.pom* (since poms aren't needed for the dist dir).

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org