Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Karim Zibari <kz...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/13 19:35:10 UTC

Connection Pooling

Hi

I have been using this connection pooling declaration for my web app for many months but I never really know
what it is doing:

        <Resource name="jdbc/JSNDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
              maxActive="50" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
              removeAbandoned="true" removeAbandonedTimeout="10" logAbandoned="true"
              username="root" password="letmein2006" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
                url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/kurdishglobe_net?autoReconnect=true"/>

Specifically,
1- does this mean that 50 connections will be made available when the web app is loaded?
2- what happens if all the 50 connections are used up and there are more db connection requests?
3- what about the maxIdle="30"; there cannot be more than 30 idle connections ?

Best regards
Karim Zibari

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

Re: Connection Pooling

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
With maxWait=10000, I believe on pool exhaustion, it'll wait for up to
10 seconds for one to become available.  Failing that, I'm not sure.
The request might get a null connection back or an exception.  Honestly
I've never looked at the internals of DBCP, but I have done some
programming work on commons-pool which came from the DBCP project.

--David

--
David Smith