Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Jessie Berlin <je...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/05 15:26:13 UTC

Setting Differentiated Services on packets coming from the ActiveMQ broker

As I had mentioned before when we talked on the IRC channel, the fixes to https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2636 do not make sure that the TCP/IP acknowledgements and packets coming from the broker on a connection on which the Differentiated Services bits have been set by a client have the same Differentiated Services bits as the packets coming out of the client.

We talked on the IRC channel about two potential fixes:

1. Use a param=value pair on the broker URI that is to start up the broker and set that same Differentiated Services value on all outgoing TCP/IP packets from the broker, regardless of what the values are are on incoming packets from different connections to different clients.
2. Use IPTables to look at the incoming packets from the each individual client connection and set the Differentiated Services bits on the outgoing packets from the broker on each individual client connection to match the value on the incoming packets on that connection.

You said that a mix of both would be preferable, but that the second was best if we could only implement one approach.

The sponsor at MIT Lincoln Labs who asked our student group to implement Differentiated Services support in ActiveMQ has indicated that she would like use to use the second approach in the form of  scripts that are run manually, separately from the ActiveMQ broker.

Here is a detailed explanation of how it will work: http://maljub01.svnrepository.com/comp190/trac.cgi/wiki/IPtables.
Here is a link to the initial implementation that we have: http://maljub01.svnrepository.com/comp190/trac.cgi/browser/prototype/iptables

Would it be possible to add these scripts to the ActiveMQ codebase somewhere so that it would come with ActiveMQ? If so, where should we add it and where can we put the documentation on it?

We have very limited time left in the semester (only a couple of weeks), so the sooner you can get back to us, the better.

Thanks,

Jessie Berlin