Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2007/04/03 20:55:47 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Meta tags: keywords and description

On 4/3/07, Curtis Vaughan <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that the metatag "Keywords" is not really used by
> search engine crawlers any more, and that description is the better to
> use. Could someone confirm that?
>
> Also, I wondering about the syntax for these. For example, I am looking at
> the description for a law firm. It has:
>
> "General business law, commercial transactions, real estate, contracts,
> new entity formation.  Wills, trusts & estate planning.  Immigration:
> Employer Petitions, Business Immigration, Family Petitions, Permanent
> Residency & Naturalizations."
>
> In the first place I thought periods were not really used. Also, it was my
> understand that you should keep it simple. This description seems rather
> complicated. Not to mention misspellings.
>
> Thanks for any input!

Hmmm, again, this seems way off-topic for this forum. What you want is
a forum on "search engine optimization" -- there are lots of them.

(But as general advice, don't worry so much about those kinds of
details. Modern search engines are smart enough to figure out what
your site is about if you construct a site with lots of good content
and get it linked from other relevant sites.)

Joshua.