Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by iliyas shirol <il...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/21 16:39:42 UTC

DHCP IP not getting assigned to the instances

Greetings!

We have a zone with 5 shared guest networks. We are facing the following
network issues post launching an instance in these networks. It behaves in
one of the below defined ways,

1. An IP gets assigned to the VM but its not reachable (over ICMP) from
outside network. But once we login into the VM using the console and ping
any public IP (ex: 8.8.8.8) or the gateway of the shared network then ICMP
from outside starts responding.

2. IP doesn't get assigned to the instance. VR's /etc/hosts file is updated
with the VM name and its respective IP.

3. The VM gets the IP assigned and is reachable from outside network.

We are using ACS-4.2.1 & XenServer 6.2. The guest interfaces (eth2+eth3)
are bonded using LACP.

Following troubleshooting has been done,

1. Restarted the VR
2. Restarted the instance.
3. Restarted the guest network

Has anyone else faced similar kind of issue ?

Thanks.

--
-
Md. Iliyas Shirol

Re: DHCP IP not getting assigned to the instances

Posted by Jayapal Reddy Uradi <ja...@citrix.com>.
Hi,

Please find my comments inline.

Thanks,
Jayapal
On 21-Mar-2014, at 9:09 PM, iliyas shirol <il...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> We have a zone with 5 shared guest networks. We are facing the following
> network issues post launching an instance in these networks. It behaves in
> one of the below defined ways,
>
> 1. An IP gets assigned to the VM but its not reachable (over ICMP) from
> outside network. But once we login into the VM using the console and ping
> any public IP (ex: 8.8.8.8) or the gateway of the shared network then ICMP
> from outside starts responding.
This can be because the switch is not updated with vm vif mac address.
Ping initiate from the vm might caused the switch to learn vm mac and traffic from outside is success.

Trace the packets and see where exactly the packets got dropped.

Any chance the below bug behaviour caused the issue and the fix is not there in your code.

> 2. IP doesn't get assigned to the instance. VR's /etc/hosts file is updated
> with the VM name and its respective IP.
Please check the guest vm interface for dhcp mode.
If it is set correctly please observe the vm boot logs to see why dhclient is failed to obtain the
ip address for interface from the router.