Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by etolson <et...@hcmny.com> on 2006/04/12 18:57:52 UTC

Re: [activemq-user] Application Hanging when Sending JMS Messages

We have experienced a similar problem, with only one overlapping variable -
so clearly this is an ActiveMQ bug.  We are running a JBoss appserver on
Linux using Java 1.5 and Active MQ v.3.2 to distribute data to client
applications.  We are using topics and non-persistant messages.  Active MQ
locks up with a thread stuck doing a socketWrite and holding locks needed by
all the other Active MQ threads.  Here's the thread dump of the offending
thread:

"Thread-224058" daemon prio=1 tid=0xe3954c10 nid=0x2a61 runnable
[0xde12d000..0xde12d670]
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at
org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpBufferedOutputStream.flush(TcpBufferedOutputStream.java:109)
        at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(DataOutputStream.java:106)
        at
org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransportChannel.doAsyncSend(TcpTransportChannel.java:475)
        - locked <0x4e66b458> (a java.lang.Object)
        at
org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransportChannel$1.run(TcpTransportChannel.java:262)
        at
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(PooledExecutor.java:748)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Has any progress been made on resolving this bug since this post was made 7
months ago?

Re: [activemq-user] Application Hanging when Sending JMS Messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4/12/06, etolson <et...@hcmny.com> wrote:
> Wait a sec, ActiveMQ 4.x isn't production yet right?  I'm using this in a
> production system, I need a production JMS implementation.  I am planning on
> trying 4.x as soon as it's a production release.

ActiveMQ 4 has been kinda production ready all year and its live at
lots of sites in production right now; what slowed us down was the
Apache move and joining the incubator; if we'd have been at codehaus
we'd probably be on 4.3 by now I should think :).

So 4.0-RC2 can be considered a production ActiveMQ 4 release - I'd
urge anyone using 3.x to upgrade to 4.0-RC2 as soon as possible; its
way more stable, heavily tested and has large numbers of issues fixed
such as dealing with large queues nicely. If folks don't find any
problems with it, we'll be shipping a full 4.0 release real soon.

> I appreciate the TCP timeout comment, that may address this problem.  Is
> this an ActiveMQ setting or how do I change the TCP socket timeout?

There's lots in 4.x :)
http://activemq.org/TCP+Transport+Reference

--

James
-------

Re: [activemq-user] Application Hanging when Sending JMS Messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
BTW we've had ActiveMQ 4.x now for about a year - have you tried
upgrading to 4.x (e.g. 4.0-RC2?) to see if this bug has been fixed;
we've fixed lots and lots of bugs and issues in 4.x over the last year

FWIW a common case of lockup is when the TCP timeout on sockets is set
to your operating system defaults which sometimes can be an hour or
day; so ActiveMQ will sometimes hang until the OS realises the scoket
is dead.

James

On 4/12/06, etolson <et...@hcmny.com> wrote:

> We have experienced a similar problem, with only one overlapping variable -
> so clearly this is an ActiveMQ bug.  We are running a JBoss appserver on
> Linux using Java 1.5 and Active MQ v.3.2 to distribute data to client
> applications.  We are using topics and non-persistant messages.  Active MQ
> locks up with a thread stuck doing a socketWrite and holding locks needed by
> all the other Active MQ threads.  Here's the thread dump of the offending
> thread:
>
> "Thread-224058" daemon prio=1 tid=0xe3954c10 nid=0x2a61 runnable
> [0xde12d000..0xde12d670]
>         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
>         at
> java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
>         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
>         at
> org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpBufferedOutputStream.flush(TcpBufferedOutputStream.java:109)
>         at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(DataOutputStream.java:106)
>         at
> org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransportChannel.doAsyncSend(TcpTransportChannel.java:475)
>         - locked <0x4e66b458> (a java.lang.Object)
>         at
> org.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransportChannel$1.run(TcpTransportChannel.java:262)
>         at
> EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(PooledExecutor.java:748)
>
> Has any progress been made on resolving this bug since this post was made 7
> months ago?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/