Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/25 04:13:17 UTC

Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Due to recent changes in our download javascript programming, the older
download script on many of the native language web areas was no longer
functioning.

After noticing this change, some of these areas were recently retooled by
volunteers, but most had lost the download box generated by the old
download scripting. The areas which were affected were the following native
language sites: cs, de, es, fr, gl, he, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr, zh-cn.

Currently, from the list above, the "he" and "zh-cn" sites remain to be
fixed, hopefully by volunteers from those areas.

In fixing the remaining sites in the  list, Google translate services were
used  to fill in the blanks on some needed strings. So, even though the
download areas now function correctly we need help with verifying the
language that was used on the download pages for these areas.

We have several native language areas which have their own download process
and were not affected by recent changes.

And, we have many other native language areas for which we now distribute
binaries but can only be redirected to the  main English download page
because the download information that was maintained at these sites was no
longer valid. The following native language areas could use some help in
making the downloads for them more friendly to the native language users:
hi, km, ko, ru,sl, sr, sv, ta, th, vi. zh-tw. Links to these native
language sites can be found by using the following link:

http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html

Information on how to help with Apache OpenOffice's native language process
can be found on the project's native language page:

http://openoffice.apache.org/native-lang.html

Please forward this message as you see fit.

MzK

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than being loved."
                           -- George MacDonald

Re: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/25/2014 04:03 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 06/25/2014 04:13 AM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> The areas which were affected were the following native
>> language sites: cs, de, es, fr, gl, he, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr, zh-cn.
>
> See bottom.
>
>> Currently, from the list above, the "he" and "zh-cn" sites remain to be
>> fixed, hopefully by volunteers from those areas.
>
> I've fixed the "zh-cn" webpage but haven't translated the text. I don't
> feel comfortable with writing Chinese characters when I don't understand
> anything. So, better to see the green download box with English text
> than seeing noting. ;-)
>
>> We have several native language areas which have their own download
>> process
>> and were not affected by recent changes.
>>
>> And, we have many other native language areas for which we now distribute
>> binaries but can only be redirected to the  main English download page
>> because the download information that was maintained at these sites
>> was no
>> longer valid. The following native language areas could use some help in
>> making the downloads for them more friendly to the native language users:
>> hi, km, ko, ru,sl, sr, sv, ta, th, vi. zh-tw.
>
> I'll have a look on Thursday/Friday what is remaining and needs attention.
>
> Marcus

OK, that would be good.

In the interest of time, the "fixed" sites got only a mini-workover as
only the main download box portion was changed, eliminating the inline
javascript and replacing with the new js function call -- thus the
minimal amount of translated strings in the
msg_prop-I10n_xx.js files.

And, leaving the rest of the html sections of the pages -- social links,
extensions, additional resources, in tact.

So the modified download sites look quite a bit different from our main
English version download page.

Re: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/25/2014 12:16 PM, schrieb Tal Daniel:
> Updated Hebrew download page.
> *Looking good! *
>
> Note: I added Hebrew string translations as /download/msg_..._he.js,
> right next to the msg...en.js, as I thought that when Marcus or other
> people choose to add new strings, in the future, it would be easier to
> propagate. Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'll move the file to
> /he/download/, as others did.

this was not the intended way. I would like to see this file in every
NL's own area. So, for Hebrew it would be "/he/download/msg_..._he.js".

The "/download/..." area is just for the main and international webpages.

When new strings need to be added, I would then tell this in a mail in
dev@ and l10n@ and wait some time, so that you have enough time to
update the respective local webpage.

Or, of course, the other way round. When others think there needs to be
a specific change and string updates are needed, then please tell this
first via mail before doing these changes.

Marcus

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

http://www.openoffice.org/he/download/ looks nice!

> Note: I added Hebrew string translations as /download/msg_..._he.js, right
> next to the msg...en.js, as I thought that when Marcus or other people
> choose to add new strings, in the future, it would be easier to propagate.
> Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'll move the file to /he/download/, as
> others did.

So far we are moving the translations to the localized dirs, since the
only page that uses those messages is the localized download page. What
you did makes perfectly sense too, but at the moment we are using the
other convention.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Updated Hebrew download page.
*Looking good! *

Note: I added Hebrew string translations as /download/msg_..._he.js, right
next to the msg...en.js, as I thought that when Marcus or other people
choose to add new strings, in the future, it would be easier to propagate.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, and I'll move the file to /he/download/, as
others did.

Tal

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>

Posted by Tal Daniel <ta...@gmail.com>.
Fixing Hebrew download page...

wrote:

> Forwarding to the l10n list. So in short:
>
> - he and zh-cn download pages must be fixed. Review the message below or
> the discussion at http://markmail.org/message/m6xoytmy24qwho3j to know
> how, or just ask here
>
> - Strings must be checked in the following download pages: cs, de, es, fr,
> gl, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr ; please check that strings are OK and report
> here.
>
> Thanks,
>   Andrea.

טל

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Aivaras Stepukonis wrote:
> Ok, I made some progress, the green download box is in place (see
> http://www.openoffice.org/li-test/download/

This seems to work well too (and the Spanish one is also fixed, thanks
to Juan C. Sanz).

> I have edited the file "msg_prop_l10n_pt.js" to accommodate the
> Lithuanian translation

I see both _pt and _lt ; you guessed right, the _pt has to be renamed to
_lt to follow the convention in place.

> In the same directory, you will see a file called "index_new.html". It's
> there as a result of my (most likely ill-fated) experimentation. Please,
> delete it (I tried but failed to do it).

Now deleted.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
2014.06.25 11:05, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Edit this file:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/pt/download/msg_prop_l10n_pt.js?view=markup
>

> It is a simple text file and it should be possible to find and edit it
> through the CMS too.
>
> Otherwise, I can surely commit it for you if you let me have the
> correct version. But I believe you can edit it yourself.

Ok, I made some progress, the green download box is in place (see
<http://www.openoffice.org/li-test/download/>).

The next step is to render it in Lithuanian.

I have edited the file "msg_prop_l10n_pt.js" to accommodate the
Lithuanian translation and uploaded it to
<https://cms.apache.org/ooo-site/wc/browse/astepukonis-Ptv70d/trunk/content/li-test/download/>
via CMS. My skills in doing all this are more than shaky. Could you,
please, take a look all at it.

The aforementioned file can be downloaded by following this link
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1210965/Open%20Office/4.1/msg_prop_l10n_pt.zip>.

In the same directory, you will see a file called "index_new.html". It's
there as a result of my (most likely ill-fated) experimentation. Please,
delete it (I tried but failed to do it).

Regards,
Aivaras

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Juan C. Sanz wrote:
> Where can I find the English version of the file?  I need it because the
> spanish version has a mixed of languages and I'm not able of understand,
> so I prefer translate from the original version.

English version:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/msg_prop_l10n_en.js

Edit it with any text editor, then you can replace the copy in SVN (it
will be somewhere under /es and have name msg_prop_l10n_es.js ) or send
it to me and I'll update it online.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
It is here
<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/msg_prop_l10n_en.js>.

Regards,

Aivaras

Posted by "Juan C. Sanz " <ju...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 03:13:58PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

> >To obtain a complete copy of the website (several GBytes) you must run
> >$ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/
> >
> >Then all you need to learn is the "svn commit" operation. You must install
> >svn (short for Subversion) in your system. A basic tutorial about
> >checkout, update and commit will teach you all you need (of course, ask if
> >you are stuck).
>
> Hi,
> is this <http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#ubuntu> the correct way
> to install svn (sreenshot attached)?

Images are stripped by the mailing list software. Just in case, you only
needed the subversion *client*

$ apt-get install subversion

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
> To obtain a complete copy of the website (several GBytes) you must run
> $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/
>
> Then all you need to learn is the "svn commit" operation. You must
> install svn (short for Subversion) in your system. A basic tutorial
> about checkout, update and commit will teach you all you need (of
> course, ask if you are stuck).

Hi,
is this <http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#ubuntu> the correct
way to install svn (sreenshot attached)?
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 03:22:57PM +0100, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> >subversion allows to check directories, like
> >
> >svn co
> >https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/pt/download/
> >
> >suitable for this particular case:
> >
> >$ du -sh download 108K    download $ du -sh ooo-site
> >8.1G    ooo-site $ du -sh www
> >4.5G    www
> >
> >(building the website requires ca. 13Gb).
> Can we use external drives, hard disks?

Yes, you can run svn co in any directory where you have right access;
but it doesn't make sense to checkout the whole website if you are not
going to build it (in order to locally run it in a local http server);
if you are using the CMS, just checkout the directories you need.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 26-06-2014 13:07, Ariel Constenla-Haile escreveu:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:18:23PM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>>> I attached the .txt file translated. Not sure if it's the right extension?!
>> The proper extension is .js (it's a JavaScript file) but .txt is fine for
>> sending too.
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/pt/download/ is now updated with your strings.
>>
>>> Where can I learn how to use the command line interface? Maybe it would
>>> help not bothering you again?
>> To obtain a complete copy of the website (several GBytes) you must run
>> $ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/
> subversion allows to check directories, like
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/pt/download/
>
> suitable for this particular case:
>
> $ du -sh download
> 108K    download
> $ du -sh ooo-site
> 8.1G    ooo-site
> $ du -sh www
> 4.5G    www
>
> (building the website requires ca. 13Gb).
Can we use external drives, hard disks? Size wouldn't be a problem then!
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 25/06/2014 18:12, Michal Hriň escreveu:

> Dňa 25.06.2014 11:48, Pedro Albuquerque  wrote / napísal(a):
>> Hi again,
>> I attached the .txt file translated. Not sure if it's the right
>> extension?!
>>
>>> then send it to me and I'll commit it for you (you have the same
>>> rights, but you would have to use the command-line interface, so it's
>>> no problem if you send it to me for the time being).
>> Where can I learn how to use the command line interface? Maybe it would
>> help not bothering you again?
>>
>> Another issue:
>> I'm trying Ubuntu 14.04 and after downloading a full installation from
>> here
>> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.0/binaries/pt/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_pt.tar.gz/download>,
>>
>> I only chose the language, this came up:
>> Lintian check results for /home/pedro/Apache
>> OpenOffice/pt/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.1-9764_all.deb:
>>
>> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions postinst
>> 0775 != 0755
>> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions postrm 0775
>> != 0755
>> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions prerm 0775
>> != 0755
>> E: openoffice-debian-menus: maintainer-address-missing Apache Software
>> Foundation
>>

> Hi Pedro,
>
> the problem with desktop integration is in that, that you have
> LibreOffice installed on your system which using the same name for
> executable file (soffice).
>
> You can execute OpenOffice from commandline
>
> /opt/openoffice4/program/soffice
>
> You can uninstall libreoffice and then install desktop integration or
> create your own links to openoffice and file associations.

Wow! I'd never guess that. Thank you very much. Will uninstall, certainly.
Regards,
Pedro

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Michal Hriň <hr...@apache.org>.

Dňa 25.06.2014 11:48, Pedro Albuquerque  wrote / napísal(a):
> Hi again,
> I attached the .txt file translated. Not sure if it's the right extension?!
>
>> then send it to me and I'll commit it for you (you have the same
>> rights, but you would have to use the command-line interface, so it's
>> no problem if you send it to me for the time being).
> Where can I learn how to use the command line interface? Maybe it would
> help not bothering you again?
>
> Another issue:
> I'm trying Ubuntu 14.04 and after downloading a full installation from
> here
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.0/binaries/pt/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_pt.tar.gz/download>,
> I only chose the language, this came up:
> Lintian check results for /home/pedro/Apache
> OpenOffice/pt/DEBS/desktop-integration/openoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.1-9764_all.deb:
> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions postinst
> 0775 != 0755
> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions postrm 0775
> != 0755
> E: openoffice-debian-menus: control-file-has-bad-permissions prerm 0775
> != 0755
> E: openoffice-debian-menus: maintainer-address-missing Apache Software
> Foundation

Hi Pedro,

the problem with desktop integration is in that, that you have
LibreOffice installed on your system which using the same name for
executable file (soffice).

You can execute OpenOffice from commandline

/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice

You can uninstall libreoffice and then install desktop integration or
create your own links to openoffice and file associations.

Regards,
Michal Hriň

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
> Edit this file:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/pt/download/msg_prop_l10n_pt.js?view=markup
>

> It is a simple text file and it should be possible to find and edit it
> through the CMS too.
>
> Otherwise, I can surely commit it for you if you let me have the
> correct version. But I believe you can edit it yourself.

Hi Andrea,
browsing with the CMS takes me here:
https://cms.apache.org/ooo-site/wc/browse/pmralbuquerque-yi7XZs/trunk/content/pt/download/
Here I can edit index.html
<https://cms.apache.org/ooo-site/wc/browse/pmralbuquerque-yi7XZs/trunk/content/pt/download/index.html>
and I can't find anything below this. If I'm wrong please point me how
to access the file and I'll edit it directly! In the mean time I'll edit
the text and, eventually, ask you the favor of committing it when done.
Regards,
Pedro.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Em 25-06-2014 08:00, Andrea Pescetti escreveu:
> Forwarding to the l10n list. So in short:
>
> - he and zh-cn download pages must be fixed. Review the message below
> or the discussion at http://markmail.org/message/m6xoytmy24qwho3j to
> know how, or just ask here
>
> - Strings must be checked in the following download pages: cs, de, es,
> fr, gl, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr ; please check that strings are OK and
> report here.

Hi,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dick Groskamp wrote:
> Checked the nl page and there were different texts.
> Translated the textfile into Dutch and sent it to Andrea to be uploaded.

Thanks! Now committed at
http://www.openoffice.org/nl/download/index.html

I see that Turkish has been updated too, very good.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
Andrea Pescetti schreef op 25-6-2014 9:00:
> Forwarding to the l10n list. So in short:
>
> - he and zh-cn download pages must be fixed. Review the message below
> or the discussion at http://markmail.org/message/m6xoytmy24qwho3j to
> know how, or just ask here
>
> - Strings must be checked in the following download pages: cs, de, es,
> fr, gl, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr ; please check that strings are OK and
> report here.
>
> Thanks,
>   Andrea.

DiGro

Fwd: Changes to download areas of native language web sites...and more to come?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/30/2014 05:33 PM, schrieb Hung Mark:
> It seems that there is no download page translated for traditional
> Chinese (zh-tw).
> I've made one ( as in attached file ). Please help to submit, thanks.

I've added this to the website:
http://www.openoffice.org/zh-tw/download/

Thanks a lot for your contribution. That's really great. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Hung Mark <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06/27/2014 12:33 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Due to recent changes in our download javascript programming, the older
>> download script on many of the native language web areas was no longer
>> functioning.
>>
>> After noticing this change, some of these areas were recently retooled by
>> volunteers, but most had lost the download box generated by the old
>> download scripting. The areas which were affected were the following native
>> language sites: cs, de, es, fr, gl, he, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr, zh-cn.
>>

> Two others that need fixing:
>
> 1) eu-test  --- this is the Basque translation, work-in-progress.

I think this should be taken over from the "progresser". Of course I can
help if needed.

> 2) xx -- this is the packaged content from the website that we use to
> translate the others

I've updated this.

> In the future it would be great if we could keep the "xx" version up
> to date.  That will make it easier to merge it into the NL versions.

Right, I'll try to think about this.

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to recent changes in our download javascript programming, the older
> download script on many of the native language web areas was no longer
> functioning.
>
> After noticing this change, some of these areas were recently retooled by
> volunteers, but most had lost the download box generated by the old
> download scripting. The areas which were affected were the following native
> language sites: cs, de, es, fr, gl, he, nl, pt, pt-br, sk, tr, zh-cn.

Two others that need fixing:

1) eu-test  --- this is the Basque translation, work-in-progress.

2) xx -- this is the packaged content from the website that we use to
translate the others

In the future it would be great if we could keep the "xx" version up
to date.  That will make it easier to merge it into the NL versions.

Regards,

-Rob