Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/01/18 19:42:21 UTC

[OT] Mailing list etiquette

Hi,

We (myself included) have lousy ML etiquette.  It's just going down hill.

Please no posts with html.

No cross posting.

We do not change the subject when appropriate (meaning when the
conversation topic has shifted to something other than the old subject
line).  Remember the best knowledge base we have is Google's indices
into mailing list archives.  So think about that when you write the
subject line.

We start threads with cryptic subjects without nice tags for tracking
different kinds of subjects.  The [XXX] convention is only worth
something if there is consistency in it's use with the right tags.  We
might have the following:

[ApacheDS]
[Triplesec]
[Site]
[Release]
[Vote]
[OT]

Also we have big long winded emails.  Email bite sized chunks (not
tirades) and it's easier to digest and have more responses faster.

Others feel free to add to our faults so we can fix them.  Really the ML
is the most important tool for this project.  Using it well is very
important.

Alex

Re: [OT] Mailing list etiquette

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Ersin Er wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We (myself included) have lousy ML etiquette.  It's just going down hill.
>>
>> Please no posts with html.
>>
>> No cross posting.
>>
>> We do not change the subject when appropriate (meaning when the
>> conversation topic has shifted to something other than the old subject
>> line).  Remember the best knowledge base we have is Google's indices
>> into mailing list archives.  So think about that when you write the
>> subject line.
>>
>> We start threads with cryptic subjects without nice tags for tracking
>> different kinds of subjects.  The [XXX] convention is only worth
>> something if there is consistency in it's use with the right tags.  We
>> might have the following:
>>
>> [ApacheDS]
>> [Triplesec]
>> [Site]
>> [Release]
>> [Vote]
>> [OT]
>
> [Community] ? For articles etc.

Sure that sounds ok.  Just use your discretion for it.

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.
On 1/18/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We (myself included) have lousy ML etiquette.  It's just going down hill.
>
> Please no posts with html.
>
> No cross posting.
>
> We do not change the subject when appropriate (meaning when the
> conversation topic has shifted to something other than the old subject
> line).  Remember the best knowledge base we have is Google's indices
> into mailing list archives.  So think about that when you write the
> subject line.
>
> We start threads with cryptic subjects without nice tags for tracking
> different kinds of subjects.  The [XXX] convention is only worth
> something if there is consistency in it's use with the right tags.  We
> might have the following:
>
> [ApacheDS]
> [Triplesec]
> [Site]
> [Release]
> [Vote]
> [OT]

[Community] ? For articles etc.

--
Ersin

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
Excellent,

I dig the [XXX] in the subject.  I'll add that to the
conventions documentation, under attribute tagged
subjects.

Cheers,
- Ole

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@yahoo.com>.
With respect to Tirades...do any of us really do that?
:-)

Just a couple of thoughts on it though (Here's my
cookbook entry):

Challenge

     Context based mailing list
     content.

Solution

     Have mailing list
     questions and answers
     wrapped in a working document
     that provides context.

Related Challenges

     Design rationale documentation.

So basically point the content in the body of your
mail to a context, minimizing the quick mailing list
message, and maximizing structured content.

Cheers,
- Ole

Have a burning question?