Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dave Turvene <dt...@comcast.net> on 2006/01/18 21:47:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Multiple uses in the same HTTPS virtualhost

Joshua Slive <joshua <at> slive.ca> writes:

> On 1/17/06, Dave Turvene <dturvene <at> comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Q1: How efficient is the RewriteCond?  In another case I
had three RewriteCond
> > directives on a RewriteRule with no apparent impact but the
server was not being
> > heavily hit.
>
> The RewriteCond effect will be negligible in comparison to the
> resource usage involved in proxying.  It is simply one regex,
compared
> to generating a whole new request to a different server.  If you
are
> concerned about resource usage, the first thing to look at is
if the
> proxy is really necessary, and if it could be cached at the proxy
> server.

Thanks, that makes sense.  I'm running a Content Management System
(CMS) behind Apache and need Apache for SSL, ACL, and other TLAs

> > Q2: Name-based hosting is the obvious choice, but HTTPS doesn't
> > allow it.  Is there a better way to do this, i.e. different
handling for incoming
> > HTTPS requests to the same server?
>
> It depends on what exactly you mean by "different handling".
There is
> no general answer to that question.

Yeah, I should have been a little less vague.  Here's the
"different handling" part: 1) Apache to serve some pages for
a subversion interface and 2) Apache to proxy some requests
to the CMS server - both over the same SSL Virtual Host.

My guess is from what you're saying, that the RewriteCond is
probably a clean way to do this. At least it's not obfuscated.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Multiple uses in the same HTTPS virtualhost

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/18/06, Dave Turvene <dt...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I should have been a little less vague.  Here's the
> "different handling" part: 1) Apache to serve some pages for
> a subversion interface and 2) Apache to proxy some requests
> to the CMS server - both over the same SSL Virtual Host.
>
> My guess is from what you're saying, that the RewriteCond is
> probably a clean way to do this. At least it's not obfuscated.

Yes, it's fine.  You could probably alternatively use
ProxyPass /svn !
ProxyPass / http://othersite/
which avoids mod_rewrite.

Joshua.