Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Thropp, Shawn" <th...@adlnet.org> on 2003/02/07 14:59:12 UTC

external-schemaLocation property using Xerces 2.0.2 and up

To all,

Currently, we have integrated Xerces 2.0.1 into our java code to perform
parsing of XML instances for wellformedness and validation to XSD checks.
We are setting the
http://apache.org/xml/properties/schema/external-schemaLocation property to
point to a location to a directory where the XSDs reside.  Currently, there
are 3 XSD files being set among which 2 of those 3 XSDs contain import
statements.

Everything works fine using Xerces 2.0.1.
When attempting to step up to newer versions of the Xerces jars (2.3.0,
2.2.0, 2.1.0, 2.0.2), an error is occurring that never occurred with 2.0.1:
ERROR:  schema_reference.4:  Failed to read schema document '<xxx>.xsd',
because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read;
3) the root element of the document is not <xsd:schema>.

Please note that the <xxx>.xsd files it is hollering about are the 2 XSDs
that contain import statements.  The 3rd XSD (without the import statement)
is being validated against just fine.  According to the documentation, the
import element and the schemaLocation attribute in the instance are to be
ignored when the external-schemaLocation property is set.

I've attempted to change the import statement to point to an external
reference as well, but I am still seeing the same problem.
Has anyone experienced this?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

Schawn Thropp