Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tom Miller <tm...@kdsi.net> on 2000/09/06 05:48:25 UTC

Questions on the Struts Example

Greetings,

I'm having a little touble trying to run the struts example.
I'm using the binary
distribution of struts from Sept 1st.

First off, as my Tomcat (3.2 beta 3) is starting up, it
attempts to load the database, but can't.
I get the message "cannot load servlet name: database

Then, the first time I try to access
localhost:8080/example/index.jsp in my browser I get
a ServletException with a root cause of a
java.lang.ClassFormatError.

If I then hit the reload button in the browser I get a
ServletException:
Missing resources attribute
org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE"

Perhaps this is a cascading chain of events. Wouldn't be
surprised to learn that it has to
do with configuration errors or omissions on my part
somewhere.

I'm not quite sure about where to put xerces.jar, it is
stuck in
examples/WEB-INF/lib at the moment. Couldn't really tell
from their docs where
else to put it.

I'm running all of this under IBM Visual Age, which works
just dandy for me with
Tomcat. Here is the error that is getting thrown when I
attempt to access localhost:8080/example
in my browser. Does this suggest anything?

I would apprciate it if anyone can enlighten me at least a
bit.

TIA

Tom Miller

Re: Questions on the Struts Example

Posted by Luis Arias <lu...@elysia.com>.
Hi,

I'm having similar problems using orion in the fr_FR locale...  Here's a
stack trace:

Orion/1.2.9 initialized
Digester.getParser:
org.xml.sax.SAXException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-078 fr_FR
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.setLocale(Parser.java:172)
        at
com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserFactoryImpl.newParser(SAXParserFactoryImp
l.java:103)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserImpl.<init>(SAXParserImpl.java:40)
        at
com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserFactoryImpl.newSAXParser(SAXParserFactory
Impl.java:84)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.getParser(Digester.java:288)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:748)
        at
org.apache.struts.example.DatabaseServlet.load(DatabaseServlet.java:2
82)
        at
org.apache.struts.example.DatabaseServlet.init(DatabaseServlet.java:1
75)
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.vt(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.vc(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.vm(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.uy(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.<init>(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.Application.tm(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d9.tm(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d8.mn(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rx(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d5.rw(JAX)
        at com.evermind.util.f.run(JAX)
Digester.getParser:
org.xml.sax.SAXException: com.sun.xml.parser/P-078 fr_FR
        at com.sun.xml.parser.Parser.setLocale(Parser.java:172)
        at
com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserFactoryImpl.newParser(SAXParserFactoryImp
l.java:103)
        at com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserImpl.<init>(SAXParserImpl.java:40)
        at
com.sun.xml.parser.SAXParserFactoryImpl.newSAXParser(SAXParserFactory
Impl.java:84)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.getParser(Digester.java:288)
        at org.apache.struts.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:748)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initMapping(ActionServlet.java
:619)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:291)