Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2006/11/29 16:38:51 UTC

[vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Hi,

This is a group release to attempt to deal with the licensing
resources that need to be packaged up in all the archives we
distribute. This is, in particular, and attempt to deal with the JARs
we release. Namely the binary, source, and javadoc JARs we create
with the JAR, Source, and JavaDoc plugins respectively.

I have created the Remote Resources Plugin which is documented here:

http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-remote-resources-plugin/

And I have created a diagram of the process that is currently
happening as a result of the changes I have made to the Source, and
JavaDoc plugins:

http://idisk.maven.org/jvanzyl/Public/RemoteResourcesHandling.png

Essentially the remote resources plugins creates a directory of
resources and modifies the POM at runtime so it carries with it the
information about this directory. The other archiving plugins then
look for this resource and insert it into the archives they create if
found. Ideally the Resource element should have a unique id but the
directory name will do for now.

You can see here that I've created a profile which will enable the
remote resources plugins and pull down the bundle that contains the
standard license and notice files:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/pom.xml

And I have deployed all the plugins above with this tool chain so you
can see them here:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-remote-resources-plugin/1.0-SNAPSHOT/
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-source-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/2.2-SNAPSHOT/

If I can release these plugins then I think we can solve most of the
licensing/resource doldrums.

Jason.

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 30 Nov 06, at 2:15 PM 30 Nov 06, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> The Remote Resources Plugin does not pass the DOCCK check:
>

> The following documentation problems were found:
>
> o Maven Remote Resources Plugin (5 errors, 0 warnings)
>         [ERROR] pom.xml is missing the <prerequisites> tag.

Must have been a fight with IDEA. I put it in and then it vanished:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-remote-
resources-plugin/pom.xml?revision=480225&view=markup&pathrev=480225

>         [ERROR] pom.xml has no report plugins configured.
>         [ERROR] pom.xml is missing the report plugin: maven-javadoc-
> plugin.
>         [ERROR] pom.xml is missing the report plugin: maven-jxr-
> plugin.

I suppose we should just put that in the parent plugin POM then if
everything needs it.

>         [ERROR] There are no example files in your site directory
> (in html|xml|apt format). They should either be called "example*.(
> html|xml|apt)" or they should be located in the "examples" directory

I have usage which are really the only examples needed. There isn't
any more to explain then what's shown in usage. That one should be
eased off.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/30/06, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> You're quite right about the surrogate parent. I had seen the commits
> about it but didn't connect it with the circular dependency problem.
> Thanks for clearing that up.

Should be using it when publishing the plugin websites, then?

Wendy

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi Jason

You're quite right about the surrogate parent. I had seen the commits
about it but didn't connect it with the circular dependency problem.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Now, the only error left is about the missing examples. I'll leave the
decision about that up to you.

--
Dennis Lundberg

>>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-source-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/
>>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/2.2-SNAPSHOT/
>>> If I can release these plugins then I think we can solve most of the
>>> licensing/resource doldrums.
>>> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Hi Denis,

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 30 Nov 06, at 12:45 PM 30 Nov 06, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> I'm assuming the parent poms will also need to be released/
> deployed.   Those
> still don't have the apache header.

Yup, the whole chain will be released and run through the header
gauntlet.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
I'm assuming the parent poms will also need to be released/deployed.   Those
still don't have the apache header.

Once that is corrected, +1 (non-binding).  Nice work.

Dan

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 18:58, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> I have fixed all the headers and checked them in.
>
> jason.
>
> On 29 Nov 06, at 6:54 PM 29 Nov 06, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
> > Once the headers are fixed, +1
> >
> > - Joakim
> >
> > Daniel Kulp wrote:
> >> Jason,
> >>
> >> The files still don't have the proper Apache header on them.  You
> >> added
> >> the old style (with the copyright date) instead of the new style
> >> documented at:
> >> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
> >> Those need to change.
> >>
> >> Also, the pom.xml files need to have the header as well.   Note:
> >> there is
> >> a bug in maven/jdom that may discard the header at deploy time.
> >> Thus,
> >> it may need to go INSIDE the <project> tag.
> >>
> >> The other files in "src" also need it (fml/faq.fml for example,
> >> possibly
> >> the properties files as well).
> >>
> >> Dan

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
+1

On 11/29/06, John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> On 11/30/06, Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I like it, nice way to solve the problem I think.  I notice the
> > javadoc plugin also addresses a problem I had with it a couple of
> > months ago so I am all for releasing it.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > jesse
> >
> > On 11/29/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > > I have fixed all the headers and checked them in.
> > >
> > > jason.

> > --
> > jesse mcconnell
> > jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by John Tolentino <jt...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
I like it, nice way to solve the problem I think.  I notice the
javadoc plugin also addresses a problem I had with it a couple of
months ago so I am all for releasing it.

+1

jesse

On 11/29/06, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> I have fixed all the headers and checked them in.
>
> jason.
>
> On 29 Nov 06, at 6:54 PM 29 Nov 06, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
>
> > Once the headers are fixed, +1
> >
> > - Joakim
> >
> > Daniel Kulp wrote:
> >> Jason,
> >>
> >> The files still don't have the proper Apache header on them.  You
> >> added
> >> the old style (with the copyright date) instead of the new style
> >> documented at:
> >> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
> >> Those need to change.
> >>
> >> Also, the pom.xml files need to have the header as well.   Note:
> >> there is
> >> a bug in maven/jdom that may discard the header at deploy time.
> >> Thus,
> >> it may need to go INSIDE the <project> tag.
> >>
> >> The other files in "src" also need it (fml/faq.fml for example,
> >> possibly
> >> the properties files as well).
> >>
> >> Dan

jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: [vote] Release Remote Resources Plugin / JavaDoc Plugin / Source Plugin

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Stephane

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
Once the headers are fixed, +1

- Joakim

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Jason,

The files still don't have the proper Apache header on them.  You added
the old style (with the copyright date) instead of the new style
documented at:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
Those need to change.

Also, the pom.xml files need to have the header as well.   Note: there is
a bug in maven/jdom that may discard the header at deploy time.   Thus,
it may need to go INSIDE the <project> tag.

The other files in "src" also need it (fml/faq.fml for example, possibly
the properties files as well).

Dan

On Wednesday November 29 2006 10:38 am, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a group release to attempt to deal with the licensing
> resources that need to be packaged up in all the archives we
> distribute. This is, in particular, and attempt to deal with the JARs
> we release. Namely the binary, source, and javadoc JARs we create
> with the JAR, Source, and JavaDoc plugins respectively.
>
> I have created the Remote Resources Plugin which is documented here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/maven-remote-resources-plugin/
>
> And I have created a diagram of the process that is currently
> happening as a result of the changes I have made to the Source, and
> JavaDoc plugins:
>
> http://idisk.maven.org/jvanzyl/Public/RemoteResourcesHandling.png
>
> Essentially the remote resources plugins creates a directory of
> resources and modifies the POM at runtime so it carries with it the
> information about this directory. The other archiving plugins then
> look for this resource and insert it into the archives they create if
> found. Ideally the Resource element should have a unique id but the
> directory name will do for now.
>
> You can see here that I've created a profile which will enable the
> remote resources plugins and pull down the bundle that contains the
> standard license and notice files:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/pom.xml
>
> And I have deployed all the plugins above with this tool chain so you
> can see them here:
>
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
> plugins/maven-remote-resources-plugin/1.0-SNAPSHOT/
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
> plugins/maven-source-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/
> plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/2.2-SNAPSHOT/
>
> If I can release these plugins then I think we can solve most of the
> licensing/resource doldrums.
>
> Jason.

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194   F:781-902-8001
daniel.kulp@iona.com