Posted to derby-commits@db.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/02/06 20:02:08 UTC

[Db-derby Wiki] Update of "CodingProjects" by RichardHillegas

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Db-derby Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by RichardHillegas:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/CodingProjects

  For a complete description of the terms of service for the Google Summer of Code, see http://code.google.com/soc/tos.html

  || '''Project Name''' || '''Mentor(s)''' || '''Short Description''' || '''Link to Project Page''' || '''Team Size''' ||
- || Documentation backend work || Jeff Levitt (I would nominate Andrew or Scott Hutinger to replace me though, I think they might be a better fit, if they so desired || There exists a need for improvement to the PDF generation and the overall presentation of our documentation in general. || DocFixes || 1 ||
+ || Documentation backend work ||  || There exists a need for improvement to the PDF generation and the overall presentation of our documentation in general. || DocFixes || 1 ||
- || SQL PSM  Support || Dan Debrunner || Proposal to support functions and procedures written in SQL by compiling them to server-side JDBC Java byte code and then executing them using the existing Java routine support. Functionality could then be extended to SQL/PSM with control statements || SqlPsmSupport ||  ||
+ || SQL PSM  Support ||  || Proposal to support functions and procedures written in SQL by compiling them to server-side JDBC Java byte code and then executing them using the existing Java routine support. Functionality could then be extended to SQL/PSM with control statements || SqlPsmSupport ||  ||
- || Lucene Integration || Rick Hillegas ? || Integrate Lucene text search engine into Derby || LuceneIntegration || ?? ||
+ || Lucene Integration ||  || Integrate Lucene text search engine into Derby || LuceneIntegration || ?? ||
- || Improve Derby XML Support || ?? || Currently Derby XML support is fairly limited. This project would be to move Derby towards full XML support || XmlEnhancements || ?? ||
+ || Improve Derby XML Support ||  || Currently Derby XML support is fairly limited. This project would be to move Derby towards full XML support || XmlEnhancements || ?? ||
- || Add support for shared code || David Van Couvering || Currently it is not possible to safely share code between Derby jar files.  This proposal would be to identify and implement a mechanism for sharing code that does not cause issues with compatibility in a mixed version environment || An initial attempt to define the ground rules for this can be found at SharedComponentVersioningGuidelines|| 1-2 ||
+ || Add support for shared code ||  || Currently it is not possible to safely share code between Derby jar files.  This proposal would be to identify and implement a mechanism for sharing code that does not cause issues with compatibility in a mixed version environment || An initial attempt to define the ground rules for this can be found at SharedComponentVersioningGuidelines|| 1-2 ||
- ||Migration tool from MySQL to Derby|| || ||
+ ||Migration tool from MySQL to Derby|| || || || ||
  ||Server management tools. || ||Tools to manage checkpoints/backups, data and log placement, lock monitoring, performance monitoring, etc.  Each one of these is its own separate project|| || ||
- ||Add incremental support for JMX||David Van Couvering||Start with something simple like "is the server up or down" and grow from there.|| || ||
+ ||More JMX support || ||Build on top of the foundation introduced in 10.4.|| || ||
- ||Automatic copying of log from the log directory to an archive|| || || ||
+ ||Automatic copying of log from the log directory to an archive|| || || || ||
- ||Implement an LRU-based cache manager to replace the current clock algorithm||Øystein Grøvlen?|| Derby currently uses a clock algorithm to determine which pages to replace in its page cache. We have indications that this algorithm is far from optimal for some type of loads.  Many other database systems use variants of an LRU-based algorithm, i.e. the pages that are least recently used will be candidates for replacement. || ["LRUCache"] ||
+ ||Implement an LRU-based cache manager to replace the current clock algorithm|| || Derby currently uses a clock algorithm to determine which pages to replace in its page cache. We have indications that this algorithm is far from optimal for some type of loads.  Many other database systems use variants of an LRU-based algorithm, i.e. the pages that are least recently used will be candidates for replacement. || ["LRUCache"] || ||
  ||Network client Quality Improvements|| Kathey Marsden|| Derby introduced the network client JDBC driver with its 10.1.1.0 release.  There is still important quality work pending to match the robustness of our embedded Driver.  This is a great opportunity to learn about JDBC, XA, and DRDA protocol and become active in the Apache Derby development community.||NetworkClientQualityImprovements||??||