Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2019/02/20 16:11:09 UTC

Re: [OT] Tomcat Apache 7.0.79 upgrade to Latest version

John,

On 2/20/19 10:58, John Dale wrote:
> Points taken .. I have a great deal from my cloud provider on a
> wheezy instance, so I have to see if I can negotiate to keep my
> rate. I do a lot of custom MVC and security checks so things are
> nice and tight and I haven't been hacked even though I get several
> thousand attempts a day mostly from China and Iran.  I'm also
> kicking around whether to use James or keep using postfix for
> email.  With an upgrade to Java 8 I can use the latest james
> release so I'll look into that.
>
> I've been struggling to find a nice block of time for a full
> regression test.  It's funny .. I was working for a bank a couple
> of years back that was still on Java 1.6 and that's the way they
> liked it. :)
>
> Did you see the road map for Java 10?  Seems like we're moving a
> little too fast sometimes ..

Java 10's dead, baby.

Java 11 will be a long-term-service release. Java 12 is already
available for pre-release.

The biggest step is from 8 -> 9/10/11. Once you are over that, it will
be much better for everyone.

I don't want to have to wait 10 years to get new stuff like TLS 1.3
support or the forthcoming HTTP/3, so I'm happy with the shorter
development cycles Oracle has switched-over to.

- -chris

Posted by Nitin Kadam <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mark,

Thanks for your suggestion  it's work like charm.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nitin Kadam <ni...@gmail.com>.
We upgraded to tomcat 8.5.38 but facing below issue for couple of apps

We developed REST API using Jersey and deployed a WAR file of the same on
Tomcat7 (Exact Version)

It works fine.

We upgraded the Tomcat to the version 8.5.38 and redeployed the WAR file to
this version. We are getting errors while making the REST Calls to the API

In Developer Console we are getting attached error when the API is getting
hit from the Web application.

Below are the logs we get when hitting the API using postman

Server Error</title><style type="text/css">h1
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;}
h2
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;}
h3
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;}
body
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} b
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;}
{font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}
a {color:black;} a.name {color:black;} .line
an unexpected condition that prevented it from fulfilling the
Servlet.init() for servlet [GMService] threw exception

org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:493)

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)

org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:650)

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:800)

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:66)

org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:806)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1498)

org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)

                java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown
Source)

                java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

                java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

javax.persistence.PersistenceUnit not present

sun.reflect.generics.factory.CoreReflectionFactory.makeNamedType(Unknown
Source)

sun.reflect.generics.visitor.Reifier.visitClassTypeSignature(Unknown Source)

                sun.reflect.generics.tree.ClassTypeSignature.accept(Unknown
Source)

sun.reflect.generics.visitor.Reifier.reifyTypeArguments(Unknown Source)

sun.reflect.generics.visitor.Reifier.visitClassTypeSignature(Unknown Source)

                sun.reflect.generics.tree.ClassTypeSignature.accept(Unknown
Source)

sun.reflect.generics.repository.ClassRepository.getSuperInterfaces(Unknown
Source)

                java.lang.Class.getGenericInterfaces(Unknown Source)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.factory.InjectableProviderFactory.getMetaArguments(InjectableProviderFactory.java:122)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.factory.InjectableProviderFactory.add(InjectableProviderFactory.java:85)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.factory.InjectableProviderFactory$1.onAdd(InjectableProviderFactory.java:101)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.factory.InjectableProviderFactory$1.onAdd(InjectableProviderFactory.java:100)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.component.ProviderServices.getProvidersAndServices(ProviderServices.java:135)

com.sun.jersey.core.spi.factory.InjectableProviderFactory.configure(InjectableProviderFactory.java:98)

com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.initiate(WebApplicationImpl.java:501)

com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.initiate(WebApplicationImpl.java:383)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.initiate(ServletContainer.java:377)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer$InternalWebComponent.initiate(ServletContainer.java:242)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.load(WebComponent.java:449)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.init(WebComponent.java:169)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.init(ServletContainer.java:281)

com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.init(ServletContainer.java:442)

                javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:158)

[...]

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1364)

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1185)

                java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

                java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)

[...]

the server logs.</p><hr class="line" /><h3>Apache
Tomcat/8.5.38</h3></body></html>

Regards
Nitin Kadam
(9967688959)

Re: [OT] Tomcat Apache 7.0.79 upgrade to Latest version

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nitin Kadam <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hello ,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes having the plan to remediate same on weekend, ALready informed them
about Challenges of upgrading and impact of any failure.

Current vulnerability CVE detected in 7.0.79 is showing is taken care in
7.0.91 tomcat version  So thinking of upgrading to the same family
version, Which I am thinking will be easier than upgrading to the latest
version.

Found below Link from Youtube and will be performing same, Please let know
your thoughts on same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvum4TsTnAQ

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:30 PM John Dale <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you going to try to do this on Friday night?  You might forward
> some of our comments to your security team if they want you to change
> a tire on a moving vehicle .. it's possible, but not the best
> practice.
>
> Does your security team have the ability to allocate some more
> computing resources to your project?
>
> On 2/21/19, Nitin Kadam <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > FOr backup - I will be taking Snapshot backup before doing the upgrade
> but
> > also going to take folder backup from C: programme Files /Apache Tomcat
> > folder.
> >
> > I am continuously  getting emails from the internal security team for
> > upgrading the version 7.0.79 to the latest version
> > need to figure out this ASAP
> >
> > Apps are hosted in Web apps folders and there are few D3 apps
> > which connected with SQL for database
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:45 PM John Dale <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Without all of those early adopters to take the flack, we'd never know
> >> where the enemy bases are .. or something like that. ;)
> >>
> >> I'm just very glad we have OpenJDK and that my code is very simple.
> >>
> >> Java 12 .. Uff da!

> > --
> > Regards
> > Nitin Kadam
> > (9967688959)

Regards
Nitin Kadam
(9967688959)

Re: [OT] Tomcat Apache 7.0.79 upgrade to Latest version

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Nitin,

On 2/21/19 07:47, Nitin Kadam wrote:
> FOr backup - I will be taking Snapshot backup before doing the
> upgrade but also going to take folder backup from C: programme
> Files /Apache Tomcat folder.
>
> I am continuously  getting emails from the internal security team
> for upgrading the version 7.0.79 to the latest version need to
> figure out this ASAP

Upgrading from 7.0.79 to 7.0.92 should not be too risky.

Upgrading from 7.0.79 (or 7.0.92) up to 8.5.x will absolutely require
you to test it in another environment before upgrading. There are a
few small things that changed which may significantly affect you. I'm
specifically thinking about the stricter Cookie-parsing that was
introduced in Tomcat 8.5 which may break some of your application's
cookies. (Specifically, ones that are not properly-quoted and/or use
non-ASCII names and values).

If you have Cookie-related problems, my recommendation is that you
modify your application to encode cookie values in a way that
guarantees ASCII-only values. Options include base32/64 encoding, etc.

> Apps are hosted in Web apps folders and there are few D3 apps which
> connected with SQL for database

This should be no problem.

For your 7.0.x -> 8.5.x upgrade, I highly recommend that you start
using split CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE directories. It makes
"trying" a new version of Tomcat much less painful.

Hope that helps,
- -chris

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 9:45 PM John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Without all of those early adopters to take the flack, we'd never
>> know where the enemy bases are .. or something like that. ;)
>>
>> I'm just very glad we have OpenJDK and that my code is very
>> simple.
>>
>> Java 12 .. Uff da!
>>

>> On 2/20/19, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
>> wrote:
> John,

> Java 10's dead, baby.
>
> Java 11 will be a long-term-service release. Java 12 is already
> available for pre-release.
>
> The biggest step is from 8 -> 9/10/11. Once you are over that, it
> will be much better for everyone.
>
> I don't want to have to wait 10 years to get new stuff like TLS
> 1.3 support or the forthcoming HTTP/3, so I'm happy with the
> shorter development cycles Oracle has switched-over to.
>
> -chris

- ---

Posted by Nitin Kadam <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.