Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SMT - Geert van der Giessen <ge...@smtware.com> on 2006/11/28 14:59:25 UTC

add point to certain hosts

Hi,

I wonder if its possible to add points to mail coming from certain
hosts. I have exim+spamassassin running for some time now and my second
MX host is hosted at my ISP. Most spam that passes my filters are routed
via the second mx host. (grrr) I don't want to ignore the second host
completely, but would like to add points when mail is routed via that
host, is that possible?

thanks, Geert.

Re: add point to certain hosts

Posted by Matthias Haegele <mh...@linuxrocks.dyndns.org>.
SMT - Geert van der Giessen schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if its possible to add points to mail coming from certain
> hosts. I have exim+spamassassin running for some time now and my second
> MX host is hosted at my ISP. Most spam that passes my filters are routed
> via the second mx host. (grrr) I don't want to ignore the second host
> completely, but would like to add points when mail is routed via that
> host, is that possible?

afaik spammers try to flood "backup" or "low-priority" mx cause they
hope to meet less restrictive antispam-rules there.
Perhaps it would be better to use the same restrictive rules there?
(yes, it might be hard to do this (or impossible), that strongly depends
on your isp.)

i dont know if it is a good idea to "give extra" points since it would
affect all "traffic" from that machine ...

> thanks, Geert.

hth
MH

Re: add point to certain hosts

Posted by Terry Soucy <ts...@unb.ca>.
I probably wouldn't increase points because of mail routing through a
certain host that you control (technically).

Spammers tend to pound the system with the lowest priority in the DNS
record, as it is going to have the lowest amount of work going on.  I've
seen people adding a third MX record to their DNS, adding the A record
for it, but not actually having system there.  Spammers attempt to send
to the third host, make no connection, and then move on.

Just my $0.02 CDN

Terry

Terry Soucy, Systems Analyst              Integrated Technology Services
University of New Brunswick, Fredericton Campus   http://www.unbf.ca/its
Voice: 506.447.3018        Fax: 506.453.3590       E-mail: tsoucy@unb.ca