Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/11/14 04:50:35 UTC

Re: configuring JNDI resources in web.xml

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Christos Karras wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:55:07 -0500
> From: Christos Karras <ck...@capella.org>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: configuring JNDI resources in web.xml
>
> According to the Tomcat JNDI Resources HOWTO, if I want to use a JDBC
> connection pool, I need to add settings both in server.xml and
> WEB-INF/web.xml. Would it be possible to configure it entirely in
> web.xml?

No, there is no way to do this.  The web.xml deployment descriptor format
is portable to all servlet containers, and the separation of configuration
information lets you modify the details of the data source configuration
*without* modifying the web application itself.

If you are dead set on configuring data sources inside your web.xml file,
you should investigate using a connection pool that is configured based on
servlet connection properties.

Craig McClanahan