Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Scott Miller <sr...@interbel.net> on 2002/01/24 22:31:30 UTC

Streaming Media

I have a guy who wants to stream .ra or .ram files, what does it take to be
able to occomodate this request?  Is as simple as a new module, or more
complicated than i really want to get into?

Thanks,
Scott Miller

Re: Gotta Tuffy!

Posted by "Nigel S. Ball" <ni...@enesbe.com.au>.
On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 14:42, Justin Pywell wrote:
> Hey, if anyone is interested in problem solving I have a good one here.
>
> My domain, http://www.centralgaming.net works just fine. We have a custom
> php script forum that worked 100% with hardly any load time on the pages.
> Now that we have reinstalled the server (FreeBSD 4.4) and have (we think)
> everything installed... any page that is loaded in
> http://www.centralgaming.net/php/ like the forum or administration scripts
> take a good 1 - 2 minutes to load the page... we dont have the foggiest idea
> why. I dont know if we need to install more module's or if there is
> something that needs to be done otherwise... the main page of the site (or
> any page not in the php folder loads fine and same with my other sites
> webpages) but anything in that dir is just killer load time. If anyone has
> any ideas it would be much appreciated to get things sped up again :)
>
> Justin

Without any FreeBSD experience this may be way off the mark. Try
creating a tar file of the duff directory, delete the directory itself
(or rename) and then recreate the directory from the tar file.

This trick used to work with some older *nix systems when directory
access got slowed by various directory problems.

--
Nigel S. Ball
Enesbe Sales Pty Ltd

Re: Gotta Tuffy!

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.
Since you mentioned forums, etc., is there database stuff taking place?

Why don't you make a simple file, foo.php:

<?php echo "Foo"; ?>

then try to load that page. See how long it takes.

-Andy

Gotta Tuffy!

Re: Streaming Media

Posted by jon schatz <jo...@divisionbyzero.com>.
On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 13:44, John Darin Holloway wrote:
> I believe you need real's streaming server (rtsp is the protocol),

you only need real's server if you want people to be able to rewind/fast
forward through the stream. as long as you have the correct mime types
set, you can stream files without any effort. just link to them like
normal anchors; users click on the link, and the stream plays.

-jon

--
jon@divisionbyzero.com || www.divisionbyzero.com
gpg key: www.divisionbyzero.com/pubkey.asc

Re: Streaming Media

Posted by Herb Stein <he...@herbstein.com>.
> I believe you need real's streaming server (rtsp is the protocol),
but
> Apache 2.0 when finalized could have a protocol module for
realmedia, just
> like ftp, etal

Banwidth would be good too.

> John Darin Holloway
> Bluegrass Network, LLC

Herb Stein
The Herb Stein Group
www.herbstein.com
herb@herbstein.com
314 952-4601

RE: Streaming Media

Posted by Takacs Istvan <is...@hungax.com>.
Hi,

> Just a question re: streaming media...what compels people to
> use Real as
> opposed to either QT or Windows Media, when either of those
> can be done much more cheaply.

Cheaper than free?
You can download a limited version of RealServer ( 25 users )
from realnetworks for Linux, Windows and Solaris. You can
get some products to create or to convert to rm files for free also.
If you want to distribute streaming files for a wider audience, than
I think you should be able to pay for the non-free version.
We started to work with RealServer because we could try it
before we paid a huge amount of money for a bigger version.
It runs on Linux what is our primary development platform, and its
very stable.
We have 241 uptime days on our server and has no problems
with RealServer in this period of time.

> (I don't run Real as I've ALWAYS found it buggy on a variety
> of Windows boxes - and so have many people I've talked to who run NT
> or 2000.

I don't wondering in this statement.
If I try to run Netscape Navigator on a Windows based machine where
Internet Explorer is installed, then Netscape is much more slower
than IE.
I think I don't have to explain why.
If you use a free (not in the payment, but in the source code ) OS like
Linux
you will never meet this strange behaviour, because every developer
start with even chance to create a fast, reliable, good software.

> > I have a guy who wants to stream .ra or .ram files, what
> > does it take to be able to occomodate this request?  Is as
> > simple as a new  module, or more
> > complicated than i really want to get into?

There are two kind of distribution method.
The easiest is just to put the files onto the server and create links
on your web page to the files.
If the user has installed RealPlayer, than it will start to download
and play the file when she clicks on this link.
The drawback of this method is that you should create as much
optimized files as you want to service for different bandwith 28.8K
56K, 10M, etc.

The second method is that you use a RealServer.
With this you can create a simple file, called SureStream file.
The server can detect how the client connects to it, and
multicasts the file according to the bandwith of the user.

I hope this helped.

Regards;

		Istvan

RE: Streaming Media

Posted by Doug Groves <gr...@valis.net>.
Just a question re: streaming media...what compels people to use Real as
opposed to either QT or Windows Media, when either of those can be done
much more cheaply.

The reason I ask is that I work at a post-production company and our new
non-linear editor/switcher (the Newtek Toaster 2 for Windows) will let
us stream video real time (including switching between sources etc...)
although we haven't tried it ourselves.

I'm just wondering what benefits Real offers that either of the other
solutions don't, considering that they both seem easier AND cheaper to
implement (I don't run Real as I've ALWAYS found it buggy on a variety
of Windows boxes - and so have many people I've talked to who run NT
or 2000.

I know it's kinda OT, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of
streaming and Apache.

Re: Streaming Media