Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Bill Weir <bi...@outsourceadvice.com> on 2002/12/11 20:33:50 UTC

Oracle: Invalid Number: turbine_user_group_role.user_id

Hi,

Turbine on Oracle is giving me error "ORA-01722: Invalid Number" when I
start it up. I have located where Turbine is issuing an invalid SQL, but I
can't figure out why it is doing so. For the moment, I'm assuming I have my
environment set up wrong, and I'd appreciate pointers to suggest what to try
differently. The foremost reason I'm making the assumption is that
everything works under HSQL but it fails under Oracle.

I installed Jetspeed 1.4b1 sources, which includes turbine-2.2. I ran on
Tomcat 4.1.12. Building JS sources generates
src/sql/external/turbine_oracle.sql which does this:

CREATE TABLE TURBINE_USER_GROUP_ROLE
(
    USER_ID NUMBER NOT NULL,    <<--- note this is a number
    GROUP_ID NUMBER NOT NULL,
    ROLE_ID NUMBER NOT NULL
);

But when Jetspeed starts up it uses Turbine to set up security; log4j
indicates that it issues the following SQL:

SELECT <columns> FROM TURBINE_USER_GROUP_ROLE WHERE
TURBINE_USER_GROUP_ROLE.USER_ID='anon'

Notice that it's searching for a string 'anon' in the numeric USER_ID field,
hence Oracle throws ORA-01722.

I tried converting these fields to varchar2() fields, but it just makes the
code break elsewhere.

Having recently read the "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" guidelines,
I'm acutely aware that I need to do my homework, post my question in the
correct forum, be succinct and ask a question that can be answered. I have
spent several days going through the sources, downloading different versions
of Jetspeed, trying the standalone Turbine tutorial, setting everything up
from scratch, and I've looked through user & dev lists for Jetspeed and user
list for Turbine. Nothing on the lists seems to answer this question. I
think that this probably turns out to be a Turbine User question. Hence I'm
posting it here.

So, as above, the question is, do you have any pointers to what I might try
to resolve this issue for myself?

Thanks,

Bill