Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/04 23:39:17 UTC

The release is too complex? (Was: [VOTE] Release Sling Artifacts)

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> This time we are releasing a lot of artifacts - after this first release
> we will release one or two artifacts at a time in different intervals. As
> always the initial release is the hardest one.
>
> Although we release a set of artifacts, this is not an all-or-nothing vote!
> If one (or more) artifacts for whatever reason do not meet the release
> criterias, we still can/should release the remaining "good" artifacts. So
> hopefully we can release at least one to decrease the count :) (As we have
> some dependencies between the arifacts, turning down one artifact might
> prevent us from releasing others of course).
>
> Anyway, please indicate clearly for which artifacts you vote and with which
> artifacts you have problems!

Whoa, you are running almost 50 release votes in parallel?!? I'm all
for modularity, but isn't this a bit extreme?

What's wrong with just tagging the entire trunk and having the release
candidate be the packaged svn export of that tag?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: The release is too complex? (Was: [VOTE] Release Sling Artifacts)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...Whoa, you are running almost 50 release votes in parallel?!? I'm all
>> for modularity, but isn't this a bit extreme?...
>
> Ah - didn't see this message before writing my "how to check the
> release" one ;-)
>
> I'll probably create (and share) some scripts to check all this stuff,
> at least checking the source releases should be easy to script.

And this is all that counts (the source release); binaries are just
convenience for the users.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: The release is too complex? (Was: [VOTE] Release Sling Artifacts)

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 05.06.2008, 08:45 +0200 schrieb Bertrand Delacretaz:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ...Whoa, you are running almost 50 release votes in parallel?!? I'm all
> > for modularity, but isn't this a bit extreme?...
>
> Ah - didn't see this message before writing my "how to check the
> release" one ;-)
>
> I'll probably create (and share) some scripts to check all this stuff,
> at least checking the source releases should be easy to script.

You might have a look at mine at
http://people.apache.org/~fmeschbe/release_helpers/

I use these scripts for retrieving the RC and for checking signatures
and checksums.

The rest (RAT, NOTICE files, building) is mostly manual, though ...

Regards
Felix

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> With this release structure I don't think anyone in their right mind
>> would care to download the sources and build them, and that's IMHO a
>> bad thing.
>>
> Hmm, ok, this depends of course on your use case - but I see your point. So
> what about if I just rebundle the sources in one huge file, add a
> convenience maven pom and exclude the launchpad app/webapp and the apt stuff
> as they are broken? So we can get most of the stuff out of the door.

Sounds good to me, though I'd prefer if the "convenience maven pom"
was something we had already used in trunk. Also, it would be nice if
the contents of the entire release package was available under a
single tag in svn.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whoa, you are running almost 50 release votes in parallel?!? I'm all
> for modularity, but isn't this a bit extreme?
>
> What's wrong with just tagging the entire trunk and having the release
> candidate be the packaged svn export of that tag?

Hmm, don't know - noone came up with this *before* doing the release. :)
In the end I see no real difference, you have to check the same amount
of files, being it in one package or in 50. Separating this into several
packages makes imho detecting stuff easier and might allow us to release
at least some parts of it (if some other parts do not meet the release
criteria - although I'm very confident that we did it right).
If you wish, you can extract all 50 packages into one directory and test
them at once :)

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler