Posted to ddlutils-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/04 01:49:37 UTC

MySql Platform [Was Re: svn commit: r365722 - /db/ddlutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/ddlutils/io/ConstraintsTestBase.java]

On 1/4/06, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> If you don't mind : I am adding mysql anyway for now, since it almost needs lots of extensionsof the
> xml models (lot's of issues with equals on table names).
> I would appreciate it, if you don't touch these classes tonight or tomorrow during the day, since I
> really need working mysql integration at work tomorrow.
>
> If you have better ideas with this mysql shite, I like to hear it :).
> One solution could be to make all table names lowercase in the tests, but that will probably
> conflict with a database that only supports uppercase tablenames..
> The commits will contain links to the mysql documents that talk about this issue.

The tables are read on my machine (fresh MySql 4.1 install on a
Windows XP machine)
If not for you, then I think your database is misconfigured because
according to the SQL spec it should have no trouble with these
all-uppercase names regardless of whether using delimited identifiers
or not (in fact that's why I defined the table/column names in the XML
like this in the first place).

Btw, I was wondering why you checked in your database profiles ? After
all they are machine specific (probably won't work for anybody else
but you) and may contain sensible data (like the IP and account info
in the MySQL profile that you just checked in).
The profiles in src/test are just profiles for users/developers who
want to run the tests, to tweak according to their local setup. Hence
they contain typical configurations with unsensible data (e.g.
localhost, user names equal to the database name or 'ddlutils' etc.)
My local profiles on the other hand look somewhat different, but they
must not be in SVN (because e.g. I use PostgreSql for other projects
and the account for DdlUtils need to have CREATE DATABASE rights).

regards,
Tom

Re: MySql Platform [Was Re: svn commit: r365722 - /db/ddlutils/trunk/src/test/org/apache/ddlutils/io/ConstraintsTestBase.java]

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>>The problem I have with these settings, is that they are unusable for me (at least for external
>>databases) and so probably are also unusable for the rest of the world except you (just an observation)
>

> Well, except for the embedded databases or those run locally, they
> have to be ;-) As I said, they are intended to be modified by people
> that want to run the tests and thus contain a lot of comments making
> this easy.

I just add -Djdbc.properties.file=src/test-profiles/mvdb/jdbc.properties.mysql to my tests to test
eg mysql. I rather not have outstanding changes in my svn because I changed a property file :)

>>I think however that profile-samples will give the wrong impression to users, since my profiles are
>>not samples.
>>I'll add a readme to clarify what the purpose is of the profile directory and add a readme to the
>>mvdb directory saying for who the profile is.
>>
>>Hope that is enough :)
>

> When we create distribution files, then we should also make sure that
> they are not included, I think.

Of course :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
>
>>I have too much machines and on those machines normally a checkout in my IDE and in a different tree
>>and copying those profiles around is quite tedious.
>>There are no secrets in there, since the machine with all the databases is on an internal machine,
>>which I am using for testing. Basically it drills down to the default admin username with password
>>ddlutils. All these databases are purely dedicated to ddlutils :) I can simply copy the virtual
>>machine if I need such an installation for other purposes.
>

> Its only that I think this is confusing for users, esp. with two
> profiles folders (I put them in src/test because this folder is in the
> classpath anyway, so a -Djdbc.properties.file=/jdbc.properties.derby
> suffices).

The problem I have with these settings, is that they are unusable for me (at least for external
databases) and so probably are also unusable for the rest of the world except you (just an observation)

> If you happen to have a local repository at hand, you could use that
> (putting the profiles next to DdlUtils) ? Not that I have a problem
> with them (though a different folder names, e.g. profile-samples might
> be helpful ?).

I have a couple of private repositories, but I like to keep things simple in this case :)

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.