Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by SuoNayi <su...@163.com> on 2012/02/07 03:26:43 UTC

Bad user experience when out of box

Hi all,
   I'm new to kafka.I set up zooker server and kafka server on my test server by following the quickstart.
   I also success running the example list in the quickstart,such as step 3 and step 4.
   Now I set up a project on my pc to run examples of directory named kafka-0.7.0-incubating-src\examples.
   Of course, I changed addresses  and ports of zk server and kafka that both pointed at my test server.
   When start the main function of class KafkaConsumerProducerDemo,it throws the following exception:
Exception in thread "main" org.I0Itec.zkclient.exception.ZkTimeoutException: Unable to connect to zookeeper server within timeout: 6000
at org.I0Itec.zkclient.ZkClient.connect(ZkClient.java:876)
at org.I0Itec.zkclient.ZkClient.<init>(ZkClient.java:98)
at org.I0Itec.zkclient.ZkClient.<init>(ZkClient.java:84)
at kafka.producer.ZKBrokerPartitionInfo.<init>(ZKBrokerPartitionInfo.scala:63)
at kafka.producer.Producer.<init>(Producer.scala:53)
at kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer.<init>(Producer.scala:33)
at kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer.<init>(Producer.scala:40)
at kafka.examples.Producer.<init>(Producer.java:35)
at kafka.examples.KafkaConsumerProducerDemo.main(KafkaConsumerProducerDemo.java:23)
   I have to specify the timeout value for zk,like this,zk.connectiontimeout.ms=10000 and the client could connect to zk server successfully.
   But another new exception is thrown again:
Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.ensureWriteOpen(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.write(Unknown Source)
at kafka.network.BoundedByteBufferSend.writeTo(BoundedByteBufferSend.scala:48)
at kafka.network.Send$class.writeCompletely(Transmission.scala:76)
at kafka.network.BoundedByteBufferSend.writeCompletely(BoundedByteBufferSend.scala:25)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.liftedTree1$1(SyncProducer.scala:88)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:87)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:117)
at kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply$mcVI$sp(ProducerPool.scala:116)
at kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply(ProducerPool.scala:102)
at kafka.producer.ProducerPool$$anonfun$send$1.apply(ProducerPool.scala:102)
at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:57)
at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:43)
at kafka.producer.ProducerPool.send(ProducerPool.scala:102)
at kafka.producer.Producer.zkSend(Producer.scala:143)
at kafka.producer.Producer.send(Producer.scala:105)
at kafka.javaapi.producer.Producer.send(Producer.scala:104)
at kafka.examples.Producer.run(Producer.java:45)
  Hope someone could help me, thanks very much!

SuoNayi

Re: Reply:Re: Reply:Bad user experience when out of box

Posted by Neha Narkhede <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The producer closes the socket connection to the broker and
reconnects. The frequency of this reconnect is based on the
reconnect.interval config parameter in the producer.
By default, it is set to 30 sec, if you want you can increase it. This
is mainly to ensure better load balancing on the Kafka servers. It
shouldn't cause any overhead on the Kafka cluster, is there any
particular reason you would like the Producer to not reconnect to the
brokers ?

Thanks,
Neha

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
The clients periodically reconnect. The parameter that controls this is
reconnect.interval in http://incubator.apache.org/kafka/configuration.html

When the client closes the connection, the server logs it, I think. If you
don't like this you can make the reconnect interval higher. The intention
of this feature is to allow a level 4 load balancer to work with kafka.
Since this works at the tcp connection level, the client needs to reconnect
to balance load.

-Jay

Posted by SuoNayi <su...@163.com>.

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
SuoNayi,

--

/*

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Try telnet to the broker and the port directly see if you can make the
connection. If not, it's very likely that the server is not bound to the
ip/host that you want. See #2 in http://incubator.apache.org/kafka/faq.html

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by SuoNayi <su...@163.com>.

Re: Bad user experience when out of box

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.
SuoNayi,

In line 32 of examples/src/main/java/kafka/examples/Producer.java

props.put("zk.connect", "localhost:2181");

change that to zk host and port in real world you can be passing that
structure in like ProducerShell does from properties file

/*