Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2005/12/01 15:00:11 UTC

host (L)GPL to ASF Library wrappers

Hi!

There are contributions for jakarta commons-vfs which use LGPL/GPL or
any other license e.g. novell library (dont know the real name now)

Generally we should use sourceforge to host such "plugins", but due to
the stability of sourceforge in the past and the fact that there is no
svn support I though I'll host them on my own machine.

Is there any legal issue I have to await if I do so?
And in the case of a GPL license, I have to put the "plugin" under GPL
too, isnt it?

Thanks!
Mario

Re: host (L)GPL to ASF Library wrappers

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> There are contributions for jakarta commons-vfs which use LGPL/GPL or any
> other license e.g. novell library (dont know the real name now)
>
> Generally we should use sourceforge to host such "plugins", but due to the
> stability of sourceforge in the past and the fact that there is no svn
> support I though I'll host them on my own machine.

I've gone the same way, I hate dealing with the SourceForge CVS etc.

> Is there any legal issue I have to await if I do so?

Don't make it look like an official Apache site in any way.

Don't abuse Apache brands. ie) Naming something 'Jakarta Commons VFS -
Novell FS' would be bad, but 'Novell FS for Jakarta Commons VFS' would be
okay (I think).

Keep information/release news tight to the component. ie) I wouldn't post
to a -announce list, just commons-dev/commons-user, and I'd only link it
from the Commons VFS page itself.

> And in the case of a GPL license, I have to put the "plugin" under GPL too,
> isnt it?

Yep.

Hen

Re: host (L)GPL to ASF Library wrappers

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <mv...@apache.org>.
Hi Mario,

Here are some very interesting reads on licensing by Lawrence Rosen, the Apache legal counsel..

http://www.rosenlaw.com/pubs.htm

I think "The Unreasonable Fear of Infection" pdf document will answer your question if you need to GPL the plugin...

Mvgr,
Martin