Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by news <ne...@schof.com> on 2003/09/16 15:38:53 UTC

Basic authentication works - form authentication does not work

I'm having a problem that I was unable to find any info on in the documentation or the mailing list archives.

I've set up Basic Authentication with Tomcat 4.1.27 and an Oracle LDAP server.  I've got this working just fine but what I really want is Form-Based Authentication which has thus far eluded me.

When I switch the authentication method through the applications web.xml file, I manage to get the correct login screen (so I know that the new xml file is being deployed.)  When I enter the same name and password that worked with basic authentication, however, I get the error page that I specified.

It should also be noted that in the working basic case, the catalina.out file shows all sorts of activity (connecting to LDAP server, plus the attempt to authenticate the user, etc.)  When I switch to form, I only see the initial (successful) connection to the LDAP server.  It appears that Tomcat is not even attempting to verify the information anymore.  This makes me think this is either a Tomcat bug or I've configured Tomcat incorrectly (as opposed to there being a problem with my LDAP setup.)

Any thoughts?  TIA

- sean