Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Michael Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2019/09/02 17:31:01 UTC

Builds email notifications

After breaking the builds on 3.11 (a clumsy oversight, mea culpa, and a big thanks to Paulo and Robert for fixing it so quickly), it's been kinda bugging me that we don't send out build failure email notifications.

Jenkins does have this functionality: with "E-mail Notification" configuration under the "Post-build Actions" section. Emails are sent when a build fails, becomes unstable or returns to stable, to a specified ML and the authors of the breakage.

Is there any objection if I configure this for our `cassandra-*-artifacts` builds?
And if I create a builds@ ML where these get cc'd?

(It would be nice to add the configuration to the `cassandra-*-test` builds as well, but none of them are green. Maybe if they get green…?)

regards,
Mick

Re: Builds email notifications

Posted by mck <mc...@semb.wever.org>.
> Just committing, watching for
> errors in the seed job and fixing them isn't very problematic. The
> existing jobs are not touched, if the DSL does not parse correctly, and
> the errors are usually pretty clear where the issue might be. Just do it
> in prod, once it looks about what we want. ;)

Done. Looks good so far.

`Cassandra-2.2-artifacts` has been failing for a while, so a manual rebuild there generated the following email: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7ad7f05786189117ac3fcf62a4b2a6eecd1dcc7f2ce03ca0f126d84f@%3Cbuilds.cassandra.apache.org%3E

(The Cassandra-2.2-artifacts job is failing because of more eclipse-warnings…)

Re: Builds email notifications

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

On 9/4/19 9:01 AM, Mick Semb Wever wrote:

>> This is going to be a job('Cassandra-template-artifacts') {publishers
>> ...} step in the template, if I recall. Not sure what email plugins are
>> installed. I'd be happy to look at a PR.
>

> Quick or the dead around here :-)
>
> It has been done manually, and a separate PR opened here: https://github.com/apache/cassandra-builds/pull/10
>
> But I need some help on testing and deploying it, so a review/input would be most appreciated!

I'm sure we were typing at the same time :) (PR comments went to dev@,
so we all saw that, too..)

Testing DSL changes is a PITA and needs some sort of non-functional
meta-DSL job to configure dummy jobs. Just committing, watching for

--
Michael

Re: Builds email notifications

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
> This is going to be a job('Cassandra-template-artifacts') {publishers
> ...} step in the template, if I recall. Not sure what email plugins are
> installed. I'd be happy to look at a PR.

Quick or the dead around here :-)

It has been done manually, and a separate PR opened here: https://github.com/apache/cassandra-builds/pull/10

But I need some help on testing and deploying it, so a review/input would be most appreciated!

cheers,

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

On 9/4/19 8:33 AM, Mick Semb Wever wrote:

>> Jenkins does have this functionality: with "E-mail Notification"
>> configuration under the "Post-build Actions" section. Emails are sent
>> when a build fails, becomes unstable or returns to stable, to a
>> specified ML and the authors of the breakage.
>>
>> Is there any objection if I configure this for our
>> `cassandra-*-artifacts` builds?
>> And if I create a builds@ ML where these get cc'd?
>

> Done.

Was this done by hand in Jenkins? I don't see any new commits to the job
DSL, so the changes will get overwritten on the next cassandra-build
push when the job configs are rebuilt.

https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra-builds.git

Job DSL configs are in jenkins-dsl/cassandra_job_dsl_seed.groovy and DSL
API reference can be viewed in Jenkins at
https://builds.apache.org/plugin/job-dsl/api-viewer/index.html

This is going to be a job('Cassandra-template-artifacts') {publishers
...} step in the template, if I recall. Not sure what email plugins are
installed. I'd be happy to look at a PR.

--
Kind regards,
Michael

Re: Builds email notifications