Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/25 23:27:49 UTC

[Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #2 - 24 Aug 2020

Hi all,

I have created a document to summarize the discussion from our second dev
call for Airflow 2.0.

Thank you all who joined the call.

*Doc Link*:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Meeting+Notes#MeetingNotes-#2:24Aug2020

To all those who attended, can you please double-check and add if I have
missed anything?

To all those who didn't join, if you disagree to anything in the Summary
please voice your opinion.

Including the Summary here too (might potentially break formatting):

*Key Decisions*

   - *Smart Sensors – *in 2.0 or 2.1
      - AIP-17
      <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-17%3A+Consolidate+and+de-duplicate+sensor+tasks+in+airflow+Smart+Sensor>

      PR: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/5499
      - We have not come to a conclusion yet on whether this should be
      included in 2.0 or not. The majority is towards adding it in 2.0 (as it
      supports Airflow 2.0's Scalability story) and marking it as
      *experimental*.
      - There were some questions raised around supporting this new
      feature. So we decided that *everyone would take a look at the PR
      itself and we will spend a few minutes in the next meeting to decide
      whether it is 2.0 or not*.
   - *Simplification of KubernetesExecutor / KubernetesPodOperator*
      - PR: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/10393
      - This will be part of *Airflow 2.0*
   - *Airflow Upgrade Check* (airflow upgrade-check)* command *
      - WIP PR: PR: https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/9467 | Design
      Doc:
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/17tB9KZrH871q3AEafqR_i2I7Nrn-OT7le_P49G65VzM/edit#heading=h.vv80w6y621gv
      - *Scope*:
         - Users bash script won’t be included but anything in the core
         Airflow would be covered
         -

         *DAG Definitions*:
         - Changes in Path for contrib to Providers packages
            - DAG Interfaces: changes in arguments of a DAG / BaseOperator
         - *Configurations*:
            - Option to auto-replace deprecated configs with new options
         - *Run-time Core items*:
            - Changes like "Connection type can't be null". The
            upgrade-check should at least shown warning if it can't
provide option to
            detect the type.
         - *CLI refactor is out-of-scope*
            - Automatic refactor is *out-of-scope* as it is too difficult
            to cover all the cases in the Users bash scripts.
            - This will be covered by docs or by showing warnings via the
            upgrade-check command
         - *Experimental API to New API refactor is out-of-scope* (will be
         covered by Migration docs)
      - We agreed that the airflow upgrade-check command *needs to be
      available in the last release before Airflow 2.0* (1.10.x or 1.11.x)
   - Potential problems with time-consuming DB Migration were also
   discussed. If we identify such a DB Migration (example the one involving
   TaskInstance table) should be noted separately in Updating.md to provide a
   warning to the users.
   - *DEV Calls Feedback*
      - We agreed on having *Weekly calls from 7 September onwards*
      - Calls will start with a 5-min reviewing the progress from the last
      call towards 2.0
   - *Process*
      - A *2.0.0-test* branch will be created on 10 Sep 2020
      - Changelog:
         - The current way of Changelog is OK. We don't need further
         categorization like Webserver, Scheduler etc.
         - Separate Changelog would be created for Providers Packages
         - We need to figure a way to tag/label PRs & Issues with correct
         categories. Some options that were discussed were:
            - Adding labels on the PRs & Issues via Bot
            - A field in PR template for PR authors to add, the bot would
            then read the field which would be used to label the PR
            - Add rules, for example Committers needs to add appropriate
            labels to the PR before merging it. We could have a
scheduled Github
            Actions workflow that would fail if it finds PRs without labels.

*Things to Discuss Next*

   - *7 September*
      - Progress, Current Work & Discussions
         - API
         - Providers Packages
            - Discuss open questions
         - Improvements to SubDags / Concept of TaskGroup
            - AIP-34 <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/10153>
         - *14 September*
      - Process:
         - When should we defer the in-scope items to post-2.0
            - Completion by a date?
            - Progress by a date?
         - Progress, Current Work & Discussions
         - Scheduler HA
         - Docs Improvements
         - Helm Chart
            - Discuss the issue with sources

Regards,
Kaxil

Re: [Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #2 - 24 Aug 2020

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Yep. Thanks, Ash - indeed that is closely related and if do this, I think
9506 should be fixed together.  I added it to the doc.

I also resolved some of the questions and comments in the doc and added a
short "Alternative" - i.e. what is the alternative - monolith Airflow
release as we did so far.

I think at the call today we should start from this "alternative" - because
maybe the gains that we have by releasing separate packages are not as big
as the complexity we are adding.

I am a bit on the fence on that one myself - I am not 100 % sure if the
gains are really as big, I would love to hear what others think about it :)

J.

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Cool!

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #2 - 24 Aug 2020

Posted by Vikram Koka <vi...@astronomer.io>.
Jarek,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
+1 Kevin on the call  :).

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #2 - 24 Aug 2020

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Yang <yr...@gmail.com>.