Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2006/02/03 08:22:44 UTC

Outch, a few problems for 2.0/2.2

1. We've really got to die on ./configure, not make, when we are asked
    to --enable-ldap where apr-util wasn't built with ldap.  That's bogus;
    ./configure should describe anticipated problems, not later on.

2. Something's wrong with detection of ssl, even when I explicitly asked
    for /usr/local/ssl it's picking up /usr/sfw and I'm not yet sure why.
    (Both paths are passed, outch!)

3. We currently abspath the APR_UTIL_LIBS entry for
    /path-to/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/lib/libexpat.la,
    but that seriously breaks my AIX vpath builds.  I can guess we are
    trying to avoid picking up libexpat elsewhere in the -L list, but there's
    gotta be a better way for ordering this, and make it consistent

4. The libtool configs are pretty hokey.  apr-util properly dereferences the
    apr libtool, why don't we do the same on our builtin expat?

5. Also hitting another abspath issue when trying to build apr-util and it's
    going for the absolute apr.la, working on that when I go back to AIX
    tomorrow.

Finally vpath + symlink builds were broken, there is a set of patches
over on http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ named fixbuild-n.n.patch where
-n.n is -2.0 & -0.9, -2.2 & -1.2, and -2.3 & 1.3 for the corresponding
httpd and apr-util versions.  The patches;

  * ensure we don't look for srclib/apr*** directories, but simply the
    file contained within.

  * avoid looking from apr-util to ../apr, since on symlinked environments
    in solaris this can be erronious.

  * ensure we don't bomb on vpath builds looking for .h files in both the
    source and vpath target trees (because they don't exist in both).

  * properly check if we are vpath'ing for apr-util/xml/expat, creating that
    directory in the vpath target, and introduce the syntax --with-expat=builtin
    to resolve the ambiguity that vpath builds of the builtin expat introduces.

  * never configure apr-iconv from apr-util.  Since we won't configure apr
    from apr-util this was inconsistent.

Comments on the proposed patches so far?

Re: Outch, a few problems for 2.0/2.2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 2/2/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>>Finally vpath + symlink builds were broken, there is a set of patches
>>over on http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ named fixbuild-n.n.patch where
>>-n.n is -2.0 & -0.9, -2.2 & -1.2, and -2.3 & 1.3 for the corresponding
>>httpd and apr-util versions.  The patches;
>
>>  * ensure we don't bomb on vpath builds looking for .h files in both the
>>    source and vpath target trees (because they don't exist in both).
>
> Consistently looking in one place seems reasonable.

Actually the patch looks in both.  We wrap that search in ( ) to avoid make
(solaris make) discovering there was an error invoking ls ap[ru].u, for
example, because those two files exist as generated objects on the target
tree, not the source, while ap[ru]_*.h generally live on the source tree.

>>  * never configure apr-iconv from apr-util.  Since we won't configure apr
>>    from apr-util this was inconsistent.
>
> Assuming you mean buildconf, not configure, +1, I was surprised we did
> this at all.  AFAICT the patches don't have anything to do with
> running apr-iconv's configure.

Right; long day yesterday, was in need of caffene replentishment.

Re: Outch, a few problems for 2.0/2.2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 2/2/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Finally vpath + symlink builds were broken, there is a set of patches
> over on http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ named fixbuild-n.n.patch where
> -n.n is -2.0 & -0.9, -2.2 & -1.2, and -2.3 & 1.3 for the corresponding
> httpd and apr-util versions.  The patches;
>
>   * ensure we don't look for srclib/apr*** directories, but simply the
>     file contained within.

Seems reasonable to me...

>   * avoid looking from apr-util to ../apr, since on symlinked environments
>     in solaris this can be erronious.

+1

>   * ensure we don't bomb on vpath builds looking for .h files in both the
>     source and vpath target trees (because they don't exist in both).

Consistently looking in one place seems reasonable.

>   * properly check if we are vpath'ing for apr-util/xml/expat, creating that
>     directory in the vpath target, and introduce the syntax --with-expat=builtin
>     to resolve the ambiguity that vpath builds of the builtin expat introduces.

Again, working in vpath builds is a good thing ;-)

>   * never configure apr-iconv from apr-util.  Since we won't configure apr
>     from apr-util this was inconsistent.

Assuming you mean buildconf, not configure, +1, I was surprised we did
this at all.  AFAICT the patches don't have anything to do with
running apr-iconv's configure.

In general the APR part of these patches looks reasonable to me,
although I haven't actually tested them.  Didn't look at the httpd
side though.

-garrett

Re: Outch, a few problems for 2.0/2.2

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 2/2/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> Finally vpath + symlink builds were broken, there is a set of patches
> over on http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ named fixbuild-n.n.patch where
> -n.n is -2.0 & -0.9, -2.2 & -1.2, and -2.3 & 1.3 for the corresponding
> httpd and apr-util versions.  The patches;
>
>   * ensure we don't look for srclib/apr*** directories, but simply the
>     file contained within.

Seems reasonable to me...